love your rat????

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

love your rat????

Post by bmpsands »

There's a farm next door to us and we've always assumed that there will be rats about - but have never seen one. For the past 3 days a brown rat, beautiful shiny fur and bright eyes, has been visiting our garden to take advantage of the seed that spills from the feeders. For three days we've searched for signs of a rat household, but there's nothing. Today, the lady across the road said that her small son has seen this rat come up the farm track and slip under out gate.

It's a really sweet little thing and I'm reluctant to try to poison or trap it. Do I really need to do anything? It doesn't bother us or the hens. The dogs ignore it and I've actually quite enjoyed it's teatime visits.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Re: love your rat????

Post by HazellB »

Having been in the exact same situation, I can confidently say you need to .... get somebody who hasn't fallen for it's charms to smite the devil good and proper!

I ended up with a mini plague in my barn thanks to one cute abandoned baby several years ago. It's cousins weren't as cute. They made my life utter misery within weeks.

You'll get over it )t'
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Bea, your rat might be having babies! You could end up with lots of pretty little toddler rats.

A few years since we had several visiting from next door's dilapidated garage. The Council came and put poison down, and told us not to feed the birds. This was in the middle of winter. The poison did work, and the garage has since been pulled down. We've seen no more rats, thank goodness.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am another who would say, get shot of before you have hundreds of them around.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I know your'e right! My OH, ex RAF, has shot one but there's another one about. I have given him today to try to pot the second one but if he can't, or if any more appear, we'll be putting out poison.

As cute as it is, it will have to go.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Get rid. The gestation of a rat is 22 days and they don't have one baby at a time. You will be over-run before you can say pest