wound gels - are they edible?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mo
Legendary Laner

wound gels - are they edible?

Post by Mo »

It has been an eventful week.
Monday morning Pat come in with a huge gash on his neck - ear to chin. So he spent the day at the vet being stitched, she said it was a cat-bite abscess that had burst.
They gave him a metacam injection and some for me to give him in his mouth each day, also antibiotic capsules, and some gels - intrasite and aloevera.
He was a bit nervous when we got him home and trying to remove his collar, but then he settled and seemed to be starving - ate loads of dry food.
Next morning he slept on the sofa most of the time, but when it was time to give the metacam. When in doubt read the instructions and fortunately I did - it said not to give in there was an upset stomach. And there was a horrid mess in the litter tray. Phoned vet and she said don't give it.
Fun and games with the antibiotic capsules - I was left with 2 bitten, spat out, capsules leaking powder. But Pat will mug me if I'm eating marmite and he licked up the antibiotic/marmite paste. Not ideal as it was probably too much salt but it was all I could think of.
Yesterday morning the vet gave him a different painkiller as an injection, and changed his antibiotic to a once only injection, in case that was what was upsetting his stomach (another mess overnight - and again yesterday evening)

I'm now wondering about the gels. He was licking his anti-scratch collar, it looked as if he was trying to lick his chest and only getting his collar, and I wondered if the gel was upsetting him. The collar was not put back so tight yesterday so it's easier to be accurate when I smear it on, but there could have been some on the collar.

At least the wound looks better this morning.

On the otherhand could it be a tummy-bug (if so I think I've caught it off him).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: wound gels - are they edible?

Post by Mo »

Just had a look online.
Intrasite, is a colourless transparent aqueous gel, which contains 2.3% of a modified carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) polymer together with propylene glycol (20%) as a humectant and preservative.

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Stabilized Aloe
Vera Gel/gel d’aloès officinal stabilisé), Water
(Aqua), Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Carbomer,
Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E/vitamine E
naturelle), Allantoin, Ascorbic Acid, Diazolidinyl
Urea, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben.

Very tasty!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I'm afraid I have no answer to your question, just wanted to send {hug} {hug} to you and Pat, hope you are both feeling better soon {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry, Mo another here who doesnt have any answers, but just wanted to send you some {hug} {hug}

Didnt know that about metacam either, so thanks for that. {hug}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think I need a cat poo chart to go with the hen poo pictures.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am sure if you ask Richard, SB or Dom they will sort it for you Mo. You may have to do this though........ +f+ a few times.

That wouldnt be a problem though, would it?
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Hbby thinks I am bonkers because I just googles cat poo chart! Purina do one, it seems to be a scoring system so worth having a google!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah yes. Found it. Things have improved from 6 to 5. But don't look if you're about to eat.