Yuk, yuk, yuk

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Yuk, yuk, yuk

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have one solitary duck, dont ask, we feed her a few dried mealworms every evening to go back into the wash house where her bed is and to keep her safe.

On Fri I ordered what I thought were dried meal worms for them to arrive just a few minutes ago ............ live!! I havent opened them up properly but it does say 'live' on the box and leaflet. Its already given me the colleywobbles just thinking about it.

How on earth do I keep them alive, anyone know? Talk about a senior moment!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Yuk, yuk, yuk

Post by Grannyof4 »

Keep them in the fridge BUT make sure you label clearly!!!!! Oh and a very secure lid on the container....
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Sorry, I know I shouldn't but...... {rofwl} {rofwl}

If you throw in some chopped up bits of fruit and veg, they will survive longer too )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Perhaps you could breed them and save yourself a fortune?!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Now I have calmed down I have found the leaflet under the mealworms and it says you can keep them in the fridge, but I need a shallow dish with a lid that has holes in it........apparently they are to be no deeper than 1" and I have 2kg of them!!!!

It says I have to feed them bran or cereal......what cereal I dont know. >shrug<

At the end of the day they are alive and need to be looked after, oh heck. I cant let them starve to death!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Just don't give them names or you'll have to keep them forever :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Dom, if I do decide to name would you help me, pretty please? +f+ +f+

Well, I found two containers, not very big and have put what I can in there and made ventilation holes in the lid. The rest were deposited on the lawn for the wild birds.

Neither daughter or I can deal with them, they were crawling everywhere!!

Will order some 'dried' meal worms today and make sure I get it right this time.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Oh Gwen {rofwl} Sorry but what a mistake
When I buy live meal worms, they are always in ordinary bran and will live in this for some days.
The lady in our pet shop did say that if kept for too long they will eventually become beetles. I have no idea how long too long is but be warned. {warn}
I hate the things and can't touch them so flick them out with a spoon. I only buy small boxes of the things. Goodness knows what 2kg must look like. URGGG.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

June, I thought at least you wouldnt laugh at me........ {cry} But I forgive you, just this once, you understandy. )w(

I did NOT know they would turn into beetles neither, oh my! Cant stand beetles and will be watching them like a hawk now in case they turn, shudder.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

2 kilos? {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

You dont really need to breed them do you? You already have a lifetime's supply for one duck {rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

2 kilos??? yike*

Oh, I'm sorry Gwen, I think you might have a lot of beetles in a couple of weeks time unless your duck has a BIG appetite {rofwl}

You'll know when they are beginning to turn as they form into funny looking little white pupa before emerging as little beetles. If I lived closer I would buy some from you as our bearded dragon loves them more than the chooks.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I will NOT have a lot of beetles because a huge amount are now inside the wild birds tummies, so there............humph.......and they now love me soooo much.

2kg of dried would have lasted us a long time, but would have fed the wild birds too, so another, so there...........humph......and they were a very good price.

Just someone remind me why I keep coming on this forum.........please.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
{rofwl}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Because you love us +f+
Lucy x

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Because mealworms aren't great coversationalists.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx