teaching Beau to use a dog flap

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

teaching Beau to use a dog flap

Post by albertajune »

We still get the occasional pee from Beau during the night. He is taken out at 10pm as a last stroll but it is still sometimes on the newspaper in the morning. We do have a dog flap which was used by my other little dog Smudgie and are trying to coach Beau through it. If propped open, he goes back and forth, no problem, but won't attempt to go through if it is closed. He actually pees in front of it so is going there.

We have only had him for just over a fortnight, so early days and in all other ways is brilliant. Such a good boy. He is not yet being let off the lead as he doesn't always respond when called back, so won't chance him running off.

Below are a couple of recent pics of him, sitting on the garden path and looking for "dad" to come home.

I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: teaching Beau to use a dog flap

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, June, he is absolutely gorgeous, he really is, bless him.

I cannot comment on the dog flap as have never used one, perhaps Wendy will see this and share any ideas with you.

I see you have gained another 'ornament' on the windowsill. )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

I haven't answered as I also have never had a dog small enough to use one. If it was big enough for Akita or GSD then a person could get through )grin2(
I would think what you are doing is right, leaving it open. Then perhaps close it but lure the dog through with a treat showing it through a semi opened door lots of treats and do it numerous times.
I was thinking someone else would have done it before.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Each day is progress. Beau goes readily through the open dog flap but still doesn't want to push it when fully closed, even though he can see through it. However, for the last 2 nights, no pee :-D He is going out for a short walk just before we go to bed and does many then, so fingers crossed. I still put the plastic and paper down as I am sure he will do it again at some time.

He is now going out in open areas without a lead and is so good. Comes back each time when called, and for the first time yesterday, he didn't give little howls when Roy went out. It really does feel as though he has been with longer than 3 weeks as he has settled down so well with us.

When we lost Megan so soon after little Smudgy, we said no more dogs, but so glad that we saw this little boy.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

He sounds as though he is right at home with you both, June.

He is one very, very, lucky doggie to have found you both. {hug} {hug}

Would you know if he has used the flap in the night?

We put up a chain fly net at the back door this summer. Well...........Teddy would not go through it, you would have thought we had put barbed wire up or that it was going to eat him and we know nothing nasty has happened to him.

So, we left a few strands of chain down and over a period of approx 10 days gradually put more down and he has no probs now.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Maybe Gwen has the answer. Beau goes through the open flap, no problem so it might be an idea to hang something soft over the hole rather than him having to push against something solid.

He won't go through it closed during the day Gwen, so don't think he does at night. We had a tiddle last night and he is going to the door, so hopefully in time he will get brave enough to attempt the dog flap or learn to control his bladder at night. Most dogs do go through the night without having to go out. It is after all only 7 weeks since he was taken out of his cage where he had been for 6 yrs.

He is such an intelligent little fellow and I think that what he has learned over the time he has been out is amazing.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think you are absolutely right, June regarding him learning such a lot in a very short space of time.

He has obviously not been housetrained and would have pee'd as and when in his run/cage, so to get any night that is dry is a really, really big deal imho. I am sure it will come in time where he will be able to go through the night, so a HUGE well done to you and your OH for being soooo understanding of the little man until that time comes. )app( {hug}