It's not the dogs fault,

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
barboo
Lively Laner

It's not the dogs fault,

Post by barboo »

Hi,
Both myself and my wife spend time every week helping our local S.P.C.A. centre.
Little things like walking the dogs and as we are english we are asked to help the brits who come to give a dog a home here in france.
It really can be heart breaking when you see the same dogs not even given a second look,
Ie the ugly looking dogs as opposed to the cute little puppy ones & the old dogs that for no fault of their own have lost their owner due to the owners death or in a lot of cases the owner needing to go into care,

Dogs do have feelings and in these cases i offten see these dogs feeling both sad and lost,
They've had years of a certain way of life "be it right or wrong", such little things as perhaps a chocolate treat (chocolate is in fact bad for dogs but no everyone knows this)
or even the fireside to lay near on a cold night,
But all of a sudden the owners gone and the kennels are "Now" their new home,
Barking sounds all day long, and no matter how hard we try the smell of the kennels are always there, "A bit like hospitals always have a hospital smell about them"
I offten go home smelling like a compost heap,

So to spend a little time with the dogs we know have not got a very good chance of re-homing is why we give our time to this much needed help,

Yesterday I was amazed when i was showing a good young healthy dog to a couple and their daughter,
that the Mother said to the child "No not that one it's a black dog and black dogs are un-lucky!!!
Its not the dogs fault why it's such and such a colour, or age or breed,

Many a time i put the lead on a dog to take it for a "Walkies" And as we walk along the line of other dogs cages that one dog thinks its going to a new home and the spring in its step has to be seen,
its head is held high as it strides past and barks with joy "As it barks goodbye "

A return to its kennel is a reverse feeling, one it knows it hasn't been chosen this time or last time and the strides not the same, the heads now down and when im ready to go and take the next one out "my I'll see you next time is met by the sad look in the dogs eyes and im sure if they could talk the question would be "WHY".

Just as i offten can't understand "WHY" these dogs ever give any human a second chance after whats been done to these dogs in the first place,

When i do see the lucky ones diving into the back of cars as they leave to go to their new homes Im amazed that they ever get into a car so quicky "so willingly". >gl< to all of the luckyones.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: It's not the dogs fault,

Post by albertajune »

You write such a sad but very true picture of how life is for some animals. There are lots of people who do not see dogs or any other animal as something that feels sadness, joy and excitement. They are just seen as things to possess.

They are the unfeeling people but there are also people who when they want a new pet will only adopt a rescue dog, however old or ugly it is. My last dog was 13 when we adopted her and she had a lovely and happy life until she did a year later.

I am amongst a number of people who have adopted a dog from a puppy farm. My new boy was kept in a wire cage for 6yrs for the purpose of breeding. When I see him enjoying life now, I cannot imagine what he and others had to endure for what should have been the best part of their lives.

I don't have an answer as to why things are sometimes so unfair but do applaud you for giving the dogs where you are, the love and attention that they deserve. {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Re: It's not the dogs fault,

Post by wendy »

)like( what you are saying and so, so true.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning