Not sure if I should be putting this, but.....

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Not sure if I should be putting this, but.....

Post by Richard »

This is a really interesting discussion and good to see everyone understanding everyone else's point of view.

Seems it's down to..

What creature it is, pets, livestock or wildlife.
One's own knowledge of a. when it's right and b. how to do it humanely.
Being responsible.
There are always exceptions to the rule.

One other interesting view was if you had to kill the animal to eat it, would you?
I don't know myself, something you're in tune or not with the scenario.
One side is that buying it from a Supermarket you have absolutely no idea of the life it's had whereas if it's something reared by yourself you may, or may not, feel happier with that.

Certainly no reason for a warning in the post because it's something which sometimes has to be taken into account.

Just two last things..

Some may not be able to afford Vet Bills everytime something other than your Dog, Cat or Horse falls ill. I would say however that unless something has happened causing a drop in income, if you can't afford visits to the vets for everyday Pet needs, you shouldn't have a Pet.
Plus I think I'm right in saying that Vet's do not charge for treatment to wildlife. What and how they treat is up to them as Professionals.
The overwhelming majority of them care about all life no matter what it is.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Richard and I have to agree with you regarding not having pets if you cannot afford the vet bills. But.........sometimes circumstances change and money takes a downward spiral through nobody's fault also.

As for the rearing/killing your own food, I know I couldnt. We have plenty of land here and the thought has briefly crossed our minds to rear/keep lambs or some such animal for slaughter and after serious thought we all decided we couldnt do it.

Years ago we had chickens on an allotment and a couple of the hens went broody so I let them sit on 18 eggs between them, mainly to let our daughters have the experience. Unfortunately out of the 18 eggs which all hatched 12 of them were c*ckerals. They were very, very aggressive and flew up and were head height with our daughters so something had to be done. We couldnt do the deed but someone who could, did. We shared the c*ckerals between us, having 6 each. I cooked one and we all sat down at the table and not one of us could eat it, hence me saying we couldnt eat anything we had reared ourselves.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'd find it hard as well Gwen, but that's me, others can and so on.

Thought I covered myself by saying unless there be a drop in income.

)t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Richard wrote:I'd find it hard as well Gwen, but that's me, others can and so on.

Thought I covered myself by saying unless there be a drop in income.

)t' )t'

Richard

You did cover yourself re the 'drop' in income, Richard, unfortunately, I missed it. :oops:
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

I am all for killing the animal yourself. I tried to learn how to wring a chickens neck, under the supervision of someone capable, and thought I had done it but he said it was still alive and finished it off. I found it seemed to take an awful lot of strength in the wrist. But there is no doubt whatever that neck wringing or rabbit punches are by far the kindest way of killing birds and small animals if you can learn how to do it properly. There are other methods which are as good but a lot messier. For instance chopping off a head with an axe. It works, it is quite humane, but rather horrific. Once I found an injured baby bird that had fallen from the nest onto pavement, and fortunately there was a brick close by. I placed the brick over the bird and jumped on it.
Death is always a horrible business, and the way vets put things down is really no improvement on DIY methods. I have had two horrific experiences with vets. One was my beloved cat. I went out of the room while the vet was giving the injection and I could hear him screaming for almost half a minute! The second was with a pheasant with a dislocated dead leg. The vet gave the first injection, let go, and the bird flew off all round the room and took some catching , With the second attempt the vet said she had given it enough of the drug to kill a Great Dane, and even then we had to wait for about two minutes for her to die. Why don't they teach vets how to wring necks and do rabbit punches?