Scratching & licking skin

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Re: Scratching & licking skin

Post by Mercedes »

I've had countless arguments with him Gwen, the only reason we use their practice is because it's very close to us and for general health problems they seem to be quite good, although quite expensive.

I did ask him if he could think of something to bulk out Daisy's stools which did not contain grain but he didn't know of anything. I think he would rather we just stopped feeding her raw. I really don't understand why he can't just be up front and admit he knows very little about nutrition.

He also asked how long it was since we last used Advocate on Daisy, as the only reason I put some on her on the weekend was because we thought maybe she could have fleas. It had been over a year, the expression on his face was priceless.

I had another disagreement with him when Daisy had her health check and she was due for a booster at the same time. I had been told to ask how many cases of Lepto he had treated in the last year and what strains they were. He was unable to give me any answers so I took the decision to not have the booster as I know the Lepto vaccination is the one that can cause bad reactions, more so in small dogs.
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

You could try giving him the websites on my thread, 'This may be of interest to people'.
The information has been gathered since 1994 by a vet called Catherine O'Driscoll, so one of his own profession, then, like us mere owners he too can make an informed decision.........hopefully.
I have never, ever read of feeding raw causing anal gland probs, in fact quite the opposite and believe you me with all the problems that Lexi had, Clare and I have read and read and read and read.
One of the vets down at Herts actually asked me whether I had any medical training, i.e. a nurse or something to do with animals as I was asking lots of questions and much to my suprise using the correct terminology.
My answer was no, but I am the very concerned Grandma of Lexi dog.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I know she's not a dog, but I have a ferret called Mouse.
Mouse developed a large bald patch on her side.
When ferrets develop baldness it is often Adrenal Disease, and we had an appointment at the vets booked. Before going I had read this thread. Gave Mouse's anal glands a feel and realised they were a little enlarged. Told the vet what I'd read and that I'd given her a poke, and she emptied them, Yum, poor Mouse did bleed a bit :( but was sent off with metacam (anti inflame and painkiller).

A month on now and her fur has mostly regrown, so it doesn't look like adrenal now :)

Well done Wendy! I would never have thought anal glands if I hadn't read this thread, and I don't think the vet would either.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yay ........... glad it helped Mouse out
)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning