Bonfire night

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
chickgirl
Learner Laner

Bonfire night

Post by chickgirl »

Just been reading the posts about Bonfire night and chickens.

We have a dog who goes out of her mind every year and I'm wondering what steps everyone takes to help their pets get through it?

We have tried ignoring the bangs, turning up the tv and making a den etc but each year she seems to get worse. Going to bed is a nightmare as she pants, jumps all over us and runs all over the house.

I noticed in the vets on a poster an advert for a pill that calms them down. Has anyone used such a thing before? - on their dogs that is!!!!! {rofwl}

Thanks everyone.
perchy

Re: Bonfire night

Post by perchy »

{rofwl} {rofwl}

Sorry can't help you, I am sure someone will be able to, I don't like fireworks, and they seem to go on forever these days }hairout{
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

I got a sedative from the vet for my previous cat when we moved here as it was a long journey and she was quite a nervous little thing and it seemed to keep her calm with no ill effects. I expect that's a similar thing to the pill you saw advertised. I'm sure it would be worth asking the vet if it would be suitable for your dog. I hope it works!
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

One thing we don't miss about the UK! Our lab is terrified of fireworks too, though they have them here they are basic bang bangs and only go on for a minute so she copes. But thunder storms are still a problem.

We used Valerian and skullcap drops or tablets (tablets can be a problem if they are too scared to eat) which doesn't stop them being scared, just helps them to cope better so the awful noisy panic panting is more just anxious panting.

http://www.dorwest.com/Products/SV/scul ... s-and-cats
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
wendy

Post by wendy »

You can get adaptil collars and plug ins that help calm dogs. From the vet.

Also they sell Thunder shirts for dogs. Which the dog wears [obviously] which can also calm they say. Never had experience of them. But they do get good comments.

Close curtains, all the lights on and the TV on loud to help hide all the noise and lights.
If he/she likes to hide away, then put a blanket or similar over a table or similar and make a little den in there. So they can hide away from the World if they want to.

Then get a CD of noises...fireworks etc. that you can play over the coming year to hopefully desensitise her to the noise. All the directions will be with the CD on how to go about it.

Sadly your dog may always be like this, there is never a guaranteed cured for anything. So do your best to ease her suffering and lets all hope that one day these will be banned for general use and there are just organised events.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Since being involved with rescued ex-breeding dogs I have discovered Pet Remedy. I bought it to help Bella our little rescue schnauzer cope but it has helped Barney too .. last week we were away in the caravan when we had a terrific thunderstorm, he was terrified and started panting and shaking ..a few sprays on his bed and he calmed down within minutes. I have used adaptil before but nowhere near as good results as Pet Remedy. It comes in a diffuser and spray ..also a mini spray to carry around with you.