Questions for Grannyof4, Bluebell, Wendy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Questions for Grannyof4, Bluebell, Wendy

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have a duck (Dally) she is a rescue and lays an egg every day without fail. Both my daughter and I love duck eggs, but they really, really upset our stomachs after eating. We had ducks years ago and never any probs. The only thing we can think of is that Dally has a tiny few mealworms each evening just before locking her up for the night. Could this be what is upsetting our stomachs, Grannyof4?

Bella our Staffie who is 11.5yrs old and has the start of bone cancer in her right fore has had numerous lumps and bumps over the years, non of which bothered her until one on her front foot kept opening up, so into vets to have it removed/tested and was only a cyst. Now she has another on her side that she has caught and wont heal, so back to vets tonight at 5.30.

The problem is everytime she has a general anaesthetic she is quite poorly afterwards, crying, not seeming to know where she is, totally disorientated which lasts for upwards of 24 hrs and is very distressing for her and us.

Could it be the anaesthetic that they use? It also happened when she was spayed years ago with a different vet and totally put her off vets ever since. Upto being spayed I took her in vets, weighed her and she nearly broke my arm to get in there, since then though she has what I would call nervous aggression and can be quite difficult to handle.

She is not an aggresive dog in any way and never has been, so any thoughts would be very welcome. I will of course be having a word with the vet this evening, but just wondered if Bluebell or Wendy or anyone else for that matter had any ideas. Thanks.

Hopefully I will be able to get back on here later for any comments.......puter been playing up.
wendy

Re: Questions for Grannyof4, Bluebell, Wendy

Post by wendy »

I am sure it is a reaction, which is a shame. You need to mention it to the vet. He may know around it, somehow.

As for being fearful.... Tilly had to have her rear groomed and shaved, because she had a upset tummy and it was a bit of a mess. My arms were not long enough to hold treat on mouth and groom the rear. So she had to go to see their groomer. I held her collar up behind her ears and had loads of treats in my other hand and she wasn't a problem. Apparently the last time they had to put a muzzle on her :? So I would say, take some really tasty treats, mine love small cubes of mature cheddar. Get the vet to give her some. Or If she is fearful straight away. Give vet the treat and ask him to throw it on the floor near to Bella. Once she eats. it throw another a little further away from her and continue until she is eating, on the floor, near to him. Then ask him to hold it in his hand with his arm straight down. So she can take it from his hand. No eye contact, no talking to her. Other than you telling her she is good. That way she is doing all the running. Not him diving in and frightening her.
I hope all goes well, it is a shame when they are frightened. I hope the outcome is good.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Hi Hun -

I think it must be very worrying for a pet - to go into a strange place with strange smells and noises and then have a needle and go to sleep and then wake up feeling strange. How can a pet grasp that what has been done is because everyone wants them to be well.

I am sure the vet I work with probably say that it can take pets a while to come out of anaesthetic, whilst at vets they are closely monitored and anaesthetic may stay in system a while. The vet I work with always recommends fluids to be given whilst pet at vets as this apparently helps reduce the dangers involved with anaesthetics.

I think it goes without saying that a mature pet normally has blood tests done prior to any anaesthetic to determine that the pet can cope with the anaesthetic - the same happens to mature humans going into hospital for an operation.

As far as how pets come with visiting vets afterwards - well not all like going to vets in first place - lets be honest if we got an injection every time we went to doctors (and let's not go with where thermometers end up!!) well we would be the same.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for your replies, Wendy and BB.

Wendy, there is no way she is interested in anything when at vets, just too frightened. Have tried food/treats as you said all to no avail, unfortunately. It reminds me of when I did a firework thing with Lincoln Uni, to start with she wouldnt eat anything but after playing CD for weeks starting very low we got to the stage of very high volume random play and she was fine. Not sure how I can implement those techniques at the vets though.

Bluebell, LOL to the thermometer, not really given that too much thought tbh.

Had a word with vet and he said that in his opinion it is the combination of the anaesthetic and painkillers they give, but they need to keep her comfortable after an op. Funnily enough I seem to remember being told that when in hospital and I ended up with a needle in my hand, sorry cant remember correct name, that I could administer my own painkiller and it made me feel less sick and much better generally.

She is on a ten day course of AB's, Clavaseptin Pal tabs 250mg twice a day, then back to vets to check again.

Sorry for not coming back quicker, but only just been able to get on here......!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Do you live near the vet at all ?
If you do, try to take her in as often as possible [daily ?] just to say hello to the nurses etc. and be given some mature cheddar or similar by them.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not really close, Wendy, just under an hours drive unfortunately and not sure I could manage to take the time out as we are so busy with work at the mo. Gosh that sounds terrible, doesnt it?

After the Lexi saga we wont use a more local vet for obvious reasons.

I actually did that at a local vet when she was a puppy and it worked brill up until she was spayed then it all went bottoms up and has remained there ever since. Luckily she has only ever been in for surgery with the lump on her toe until now with this one on her side.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Sorry bit behind with reading. I never had a problem with my duck eggs causing upset tums. My ducks used to have layers pellets in a morning and some corn in the afternoon and occasionally a small handful of mealworms, that was for about 4-6 ducks. They had a huge green area with their own pond.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Grannyof4.
Dally has her own pond, all be it a small one that we empty every day and has an enclosure of approx 30' square with lots of grass and seems quite happy, although I do know its not ideal to keep one duck on its own, but at the moment that is how it has to be unfortunately.
I think I am going to try them again as I just love duck eggs and seems such a pity to waste them.
Bella is going in Fri a.m. for her op. After talking to the vet last night we are not sure whether to remove 2 lumps at the same time. The second one is not really bothering her too much, not caught it, but think it will happen eventually and that will mean yet another vet visit. She is not having a biopsy first, but they will take quite a large area around and beneath the lump just in case and then test it afterwards. Unfortunately where the second lump is they cannot do that as on the bottom of her leg and not much spare skin/flesh.
They are going to monitor her after the op for her reaction and depending on her reaction and whether she is very stressed in there will then decide whether to keep her in overnight for observation as she will be having more anaesthetic this time/longer op. Vet did say they would bother her as little as possible and put a canular in so if she needs anymore medication at least they wont be putting more needles in her. One thing I am glad about is there are vets there 24/7 so if there is a problem they can deal with it straight away.
She is otherwise healthy weighing 17.6 kg which is ideal and her heart is good too, so hopefully if both lumps are sorted this time she wont need to go in anymore. She has more lumps but they are very loose and soft and arent really where she is obviously going to catch them.
Keep your fingers crossed, pretty please. Thanks.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I hope all goes well and she handles it better this time. To be honest if they are going to take the other lump off eventually. I would have them both off together. Especially as she doesn't cope with the vets well.
All will be a memory tomorrow {hug} {hug} {hug}

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Good luck with the op.

Do the eggs upset you if you use them in cakes?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That was my logic, Wendy, only thing making me waiver a bit is that the lumps are on opposite sides of her body, plus she will be under even longer.

Not tried them in cakes, Mo, but thanks for the suggestion as used to bake with them before. Now all I need is the time to do some baking. LOL
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

All the best for the surgery, Gwen.