Beau's special ball

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Beau's special ball

Post by albertajune »

When we brought Beau home, he came with a bright orange rubber ball. Probably his first toy and a sort of security object. The first thing he looks for in the morning is his ball and it is under his chin whenever he lays about. It is a very chewable, non destruct ball that comes from America and the easiest place to buy is from the internet.

Of course it goes on every walk for throwing games and there is often a job to retrieve it from other dogs. How awful we thought if it gets lost, lets buy a replacement in case. I found the supplier and bought 2 identical balls in make, size, colour etc but he is so not interested. He will chase a new one but on sniffing doesn't want it. So far I have washed old and new balls together, rubbed them together, rolled them about but he is just not interested. I have even rubbed a bit of meat over it.

I am baffled! There must be something different but can't see what. On the odd occasion that he barks because he has lost it indoors, we have to crawl about looking under furniture until we find it. we find it. Substitute won't do at all.

If his original ball ever goes missing, we are in trouble as he absolutely loves his ball. He bats it around the room and tosses it about, keeping himself amused for ages. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar problem, or any ideas.

Sounds silly I know to fuss over a ball but >shrug<
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Re: Beau's special ball

Post by p.penn »

They know, don't they! Have you thought of just popping the new balls in Beau's bed every night, just so they gradually absorb his smell?

Still may not work though {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

p.penn wrote:They know, don't they! Have you thought of just popping the new balls in Beau's bed every night, just so they gradually absorb his smell?

Still may not work though {rofwl}

Not tried this one Helen but will do. I find it so strange and really do have to be extra careful when playing. I do feel a bit peeved that I have paid out for new ones, plus the postage of course and he's not interested. He really does get frantic when he can't get to it from wherever it's gone.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have a similar problem with Teddy, June.

He has this hard ball called a Boomer and just loves it to bits. One thing in his favour is that he loves going in the car even more than his ball and never takes it out on walks, so relatively safe, but if we lock it away to give us all a breather from his constant running it into your legs and feet.......and it jolly well hurts........he will sit at the door until it comes out again.

He has dozens of other toys which he does play with spasmodically, including other balls, but non are like his Boomer to him.

Not sure what the answer is for your predicament though.