Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Tom32s
Learner Laner

New duck owner - Indian runner ducks

Post by Tom32s »

Sorry not sure if this is the right section but thought id try
After some advise
We brought 4 black Indian runner ducks yesterday -
2 drakes and one duck from 2014 hatch and one duck from 2013 hatch.
Initially when I visited to look at them I was unsure to take on two males as I heard you had to have a higher ratio of females to males. But when I met the breeder she spoke that she had never had a problem with them and there not like chickens.
We also own chickens.
My main question is what food do you feed them as I'm reading different information on different sites. Some say layers pellets, some say wheat, some say cracked corn ?
Second question is how much per duck should you be feeding them? Do you feed them different food through the seasons ? None of them are laying yet so I'm led to believe
I heard you should feed them at night/evening in there house to encourage them back to lock them away over night.
They will be free range but to start they are fenced off. We have 8 acres.
There house is next to the chicken coop but we can divide the both area so both chickens and ducks will be separate but have heard this isn't an issue.

And advise would be much appreciated !!
Paul
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Re: New duck owner - Indian runner ducks

Post by Sandra M »

I feed our ducks chicken layers pellets in the morning and mixed corn and veg late afternoon. Fresh water to drink and something big enough for them to have a little splash around I use a kids plastic sand pit. My 15 ducks had to be caught and put to bed for the first 3 to 4 nights now as it gets dark they put them selves to bed and I just go out and shut the door.You do need more girls with 2 boys I would have at least 3 girls per boy or you will have a bit of fighting in the summer and your girls will have no peace.
Tom32s
Learner Laner

Post by Tom32s »

Thanks sandra
Trying to get some more indian runner ducks, Females for them. But want the same type so hopefully wont take too long.
What veg/salad can ducks have ? is there anything else i should be feeding them?

Paul
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

They love peas I by a bag of frozen peas tip a kettle of hot water over them drain off the water and chuck them in the pen they go mad. They will eat most veg
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

You shouldn't have a problem with the boys till the weather warms up so you have a little while to get more.