Kaya's gone deaf...

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Sara

Kaya's gone deaf...

Post by Sara »

Please may i pick your brains? +f+

It would seem that Kaya is now totally deaf :?

Her hearing has been going downhill for sometime now, and she is an old lady (13) so we know its fairly normal but is there anything we can do to make thigs easier for her or that we should be aware of?

Ive explained to Olivia not to wake her briskly or make sudden movements but i wonder if theres anything else? >dum<

Ive only ever had 1 elderly dog, and she kept most her hearing until the end, so im a bit lost....

Its getting a bit of a retirment club here, Banes also 13, and lilly is 9, the others just think they're old {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Kaya's gone deaf...

Post by albertajune »

Sadly, all part of growing old, just like us.
Our dear little Smudgy who is no longer with us, lived to the ripe old age of 18 and was at the end deaf and blind. As it was a gradual thing, he coped with it very well and it didn't stop him doing most things. As his hearing deteriorated we had to have more personal contact with him. For example, instead of just calling to him to go for a walk, we had to go to him with his lead. Instead of saying "fetch the ball" we had to get it and then throw.

When he went blind, he used to walk with his side against the furniture and we did then have to be careful not to startle him or let other dogs jump around him. He still liked to play with his toys and still had quite a good quality of life right up to the end.

I think Sara, that Kaya will find her own way of doing things and you will be surprised how well she copes and you and the family will as well. All the best {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Aww Sara {hug}

No advice I'm afraid as I've no experience of deaf dogs either. But as June has said I bet you'll be surprised how well she copes.

Hugs to you both {hug&kiss}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks for the re-assurance {hug}

Ive must say she is coping very well, it doesnt seem to faze her much.....

Like you June, we have to go up to her, and show her things, I do think having the other dogs must help her though.. {hug}

I would love to know though if she can still hear other dogs talking amoungst each other? Or will she be reliant on scent?/Senses? >dum<

Do they actually speak to each other? {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX