No more walkies with me

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

No more walkies with me

Post by Meanqueen »

For four years now I have been helping a friend out with the odd dog walking, and dog and house sitting while they have been on holiday, but I've had to call it a day. H is a big strong choc lab, with a mind of his own.

While walking round his village I don't know how he is going to react when he sees another dog, mostly he is fine, but there are one or two that he doesn't like and he will go for them. I have got into the habit of wrapping his lead round a post when another dog comes towards us because I can't predict what he is going to do. He has attacked other dogs in the past. Once I couldn't get to a post and had to let go of the lead because he pulled so hard. Luckily no harm was done, but it makes for very stressful dog walking.

Last week I took him for a walk while my friend was out for the day. Dog coming towards us but nowhere to secure him, so I had his lead in my right hand and his collar in my left hand, and braced myself for the inevitable pull. It happened so quickly and before I knew it I was on the ground, bottom first, then back, then my head hit the ground. Luckily it was grass but I was shocked for a few minutes. I did manage to hold on to him.

Sadly I have had to tell my friend that I can no longer do this. She understands, and has another dog walker, a man, but he is not much bigger than me.

I applaud what Wendy is doing, to take on a dog with behavioural problems takes some guts, especially when they can do you some serious damage. I have given it a good shot, but after four years it is not getting any easier with this dog, so I give up. {cry}

Ilona
manda

Re: No more walkies with me

Post by manda »

Oh what a shame Ilona...but you and H have to be safe.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, you have to know when to give up.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think that is a brave and wise call.
You have to know your limits.
I love Akita's and would love to own another. But we realised they are far too strong for us now we are getting older.
I hope you weren't hurt too much. I am sure you can still go to his home for cuddles
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

All recovered now, Wendy. I had a bruise on my buttock, a sore left shoulder where it was jerked very hard, and a sore neck as my head went backwards, a bit like whiplash I imagine.

Yes, I will be seeing him again, he is a lovely dog, just sad that it had to come to this, but I can't put myself in that situation again. I have other dogs to walk as and when, two black labs, a black poodle, a collie/alsation cross, and a labradoodle. All are no bother.

Ilona