Pets on a car journey

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
By Halves
Lively Laner

Pets on a car journey

Post by By Halves »

I'm moving house in a couple of days (hence why I've been so quiet) and will be taking three cats and two bantams in my car the day before the furniture is moved. Looking online the journey is listed as taking approximately four hours but I've only been driving for a couple of months so I'm guessing at least six for extra breaks and being slower than the speed limits.

The cats will be in baskets on the back seat. My OH's two are used to sharing a dog sized basket and Spongebob has a separate one. Phoebe and Angel will be in a basket lined with straw in the passenger seat so they're not too near the cats.

The obvious thing to watch out for is that they don't get too hot and to try and park in the shade and leave all the windows open a little bit while I run into the services for a quick comfort break. If I park in an empty bit of the car park then I can also open all the doors while I eat my sarnies. Also I'll offer them all water when we stop - and hope nobody tries to do a runner when I open their baskets...

They won't need food will they, although I'll obviously have some in the car in case of breakdown or delays. Any other dos and don'ts I need to know? TIA
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
manda

Re: Pets on a car journey

Post by manda »

I reckon you've pretty much got it covered. Keep the doors shut when you open the cages because you know it's the Law of Sod they will be out if they can. At least ifthey escape in the car you have them contained....but other than that seems like you're good to go.
Good Luck with your (and the animals) move >fi<
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

When I travel with my dog, she is always crated for the journey. The last long journey I did was about 6 hours. I stopped a couple of times to let her and me have a toilet break, but I didn't feed her the whole time (she wouldn't normally eat between breakfast and tea anyway) and although she appreciated stretching her legs, I had taken her for a walk before we got in the car and she didn't actually need the toilet - after all, she goes all night at home without going to the loo. I travelled some of the way with the windows open to let her have some fresh air, as it was warm, but not too hot.

So, for comfort for your animals, I would do as you are doing; unless you have cat harnesses, don't let them out of the car of course yike* but they should be fine. Open the windows to let in fresh air, but they should manage just fine with what you have suggested.

Good luck with the move >fi<
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

All our dogs have been on long car journeys with us. Water is a priority, as has been said. The shelties used to travel in their crates, with the rough collie in the back. I haven't used crates of recent years, but do have a strap fitted on to the seat beltwhich clips onto Angel's harness.

We do stop for toilet breaks for us all, but I am always particularly wary, as our breed has a record of escaping at service areas. So Angel always wears a harness plus her collar when we are out of our garden confines.

Do hope your move goes smoothly for you and your animals.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

We drove all the way to Bulgaria with two dogs on the back seat with a grill. The grill meant we could put leads on before opening the door, they are very obedient but you never know....We had long days but wee breaks and water were all they needed, otherwise they just slept all day. They were fed in the morning and when we stopped for the night. They did really well, and as you already have a plan to keep them as cool as possible your lot should be fine.

We used to travel from N Wales to Canterbury with just wee/water breaks too, if it was hot stops were short. It took anything from five to nine hours depending on traffic.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Thank you everyone :)

We came down yesterday afternoon/evening and it did take around six hours including a good break at Reading for me to eat something (sitting in the car with the doors open) while they all had a drink and one cat basket had a change of blanket. So all arrived safely. Bit worried that none of the cats had a poo all yesterday or so far today though.

Unfortunately my removal men got here before me and couldn't be bothered to take any notice of my Mum trying to explain (in writing as she's no longer able to speak) where to put things so everything is piled up in the room nearest the door including the sack of chicken bedding so Angel and Phoebe are just on slabs until I can get to that. They've weeded the bit in their run very nicely though. Just as well I had all the pet food in my car...
~ Annie

Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags

Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

All the best for your moving in !! its a real challenge, besides supporting your mum with health issues. my mum has Parkinsons and is becoming increasingly disabled, so we can just keep supporting them,eh? she has a very determined spirit and a strong faith, and lots of wonderful friends at her Kingdom Hall so she is very well cared for. Again, hope things settle soon for you and your lovely chucks. :-D :-D
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Well it's a year on and I'm about to do the journey the other way, back to Wales. Instead of three cats and two chickens this time it'll be two cats and five chickens. (Don't worry, my partner's cats are already back in Wales with him so I've gained Mum's cat, not lost one.) I had to buy another cat basket yesterday but I reckon they'll make good nestboxes while the chickens have to live in my partner's shed.

I haven't decided whether I'll be driving up this evening or tomorrow morning, it depends on how quickly I get everything together, but I'll be coming back here on my own to finish the packing and house clearance over the next couple of weeks.
~ Annie

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Best wishes for your journey.

We are travelling to South Wales in September, staying with my step daughter just outside Tenby. Just the dog to transport, and she is used to car journeys.