Advice needed from experienced dog owners

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Advice needed from experienced dog owners

Post by jemberelli »

Hi all. As some of you will know, we have a Labrador Collie X. She is now about 19 months old and still very puppy-like in many ways. We have been having many conversations about whether or not to get her a companion. I wondered if I could give a bit of background and ask for people's opinions/ideas so that we are more informed in our decision. You may come up with pros and cons that we haven't even considered...

So, as I said, Lollie is 19 months old - good age to get another or should we wait until she is older?
Would getting a puppy be better than an older dog?
Practicalities - I have fibromyalgia and there are days when I cannot do long walks twice a day (I know that puppies do not need long walks for quite some time but Lollie does!). Hubby takes over the exercise when he is home? He works away a bit so I am solely responsible for Lollie quite often (no more than 2-3 days/nights a week and not every week). Is getting another dog just silly given this? Is my head ruling my heart?

There are probably loads more questions but I will leave it at that and just hope that you can throw some ideas/opinions my way - even if it is 'don't be stupid'!!

Thanks for reading x
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
wendy

Re: Advice needed from experienced dog owners

Post by wendy »

I think the best 'toy' you can get for your dog is another one. But of course that means it is two of everything, including poop picking.
I wouldn't advise getting another dog until you have the first one under control. You don't want two that are not well behaved.
A pup doesn't need such long walks, but is harder work ie housetraining ect. etc.
An older dog you should know the temperament, if you get from a good rehoming place. More than likely will be housetrained and out of the silliness of chewing etc. etc. that you get with puppies, not so rowdy and you would be saving a dogs life, often.
But if you do have a few health problems, then you must think seriously about it. As you do not want to over do it for yourself, or worry that you are not doing as much as you should.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Wendy, plenty of food for thought! I think our heads are saying not yet but obviously our hearts are saying yes as Lollie would love the company and it would prevent the boredom that inevitably creeps in sometimes.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Sara

Post by Sara »

Cant help much with the pros vs cons, as im biased..... i have 4 dogs here {rofwl}

Its definitly worth considering adopting an older dog if and when you are ready as like Wendy says , it would probably save its life... {hug}

Good luck x
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Until five years ago, we had two dogs, and three before that. We never had a problem with an older new dog, and we did have two puppies also, which were hard work, and I would not be able to cope with one now.

It is double the expense, with vet bills, of course, but they are fun, and were we not older, we would have had a second dog when we lost one girl five years since. We watched our remaining dog closely to see if she was pining, but all was well.

Lolly will love the companionship of a second dog in your home. Angel is delighted when we have my daughter in law's dog to stay when they go away.

Good luck, Jem, whatever you decide.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

An older rescue dog would be ideal but the breed needs to be carefully thought out as far as exercise goes. Some dogs don't need so much exercise and just want the comfort of a home.
The good thing also about rescue is that you can take Lollie with you to meet the new dog at the kennels, more than once if needed, to see how they get on. We have always taken our new considered dogs for walks in the rescue grounds, with the dog we already had. At a couple the dogs homes they have been allowed in a grassy space to play together
I think that most dogs like a doggy companion and it will take the pressure away from you a bit from keeping Lollie amused.
Whatever you decide, it has to be when you are ready for it. Good luck )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you all! I think we may wait until Lollie is a bit older and less silly! We would certainly consider a rescue - we almost got one last year but it fell through.