Anyone else got a tortoise??

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
wendy

Post by wendy »

Typical of anything produced by the Government, no one can understand it confused> .
If the tortoises are young Mo they should not be allowed to hibernate, same with small hedgehogs. You have to keep them in and in the warm.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
chickenpops
Lively Laner

Post by chickenpops »

Babycakes wrote:The clearest information i can find is here:

http://www.tortoisecentre.co.uk/tortoise%20law.htm

My tortoise is a yellow footed tortoise, which comes under the same categopry as red-footed. These are in annex B and therefore don't need certificates. Again, I hope!!

Cool...am glad your tortoise doesnt need one..phew )t'

Thanks for that info hun
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I found it really hard to get a straight answer. I dont see why DEFRA or whoever can't just have a page saying, in plain english, this is what you need for these tortoises, and you dont need anything for these. Or whatever.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

I had Herman's tortoise a couple of years ago and as long as the place that sells them has a licence stating they have been captive bred, that's all they need. Its also recommended not to let them hibernate until they are about 5 years old when they will have sufficient weight to see them through the winter. When I was much younger, we inherited two tortoises from an elderly lady who was going blind, and we had them for about 5 years, then lost both one winter during hibernation for some reason, it was really sad.

Ive had various snakes, two tarantulas, a scorpion, two leopard gecko's an I think that's it lol

I would love to have a chameleon though, they are fab to watch!
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!