Such a sad day

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mad Chick

Such a sad day

Post by Mad Chick »

We found out today that Ginger, the lovely horse my daughter shares, will be put down in the next few days {cry}

It is the right thing for her, the scans have shown she has a progressive spinal problem among other issues and is already in considerable pain according to the vet. Even in pain she is the sweetest old girl and has masked how bad she must have felt.

Poor Izzy and the Gingers owner are absolutely devastated. Izzy has asked me if she can go and be with Ginger when the time comes. I've never been one for shielding her from this side of animal ownership and she is 16 so not a little girl. She has volunteered in a vets where she has seen dogs and cats put down but a horse having a bolt put through her head is going to be so brutal, I'm not sure if she should be there or not...

What do you think?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Re: Such a sad day

Post by wendy »

Oh how sad. Poor Ginger Poor Izzy.

I am not sure what is the right thing Lucy. I do feel that every living being, should
have someone who loves them with them, when they die. But that is a brutal way.

Maybe horse owners can help you more

{hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh no {cry} Poor Ginger and poor Izzy.

If it were my daughter, I think I would try to dissuade her. Small animal with injection, yes, absolutely, be there, but I think witnessing this may be extremely traumatic for Izzy, even more so than saying goodbye to Ginger. {cry}

{hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

How sad. My own thoughts are that she shouldn't actually see the moment Ginger is shot. I know I couldn't watch. I had to leave the scene after I hit a deer on the road. A man with a gun came and put it out of it's misery. I couldn't watch that. S'pose it's a bit different when you have loved the animal for a long time, but as it has been said, a quick but brutal death. Might be best to speak to someone who has seen a horse die in that way. Find out exactly what happens.

Could she spend time with Ginger maybe an hour leading up to it, to say her goodbyes? Then leave and move away when it happens, and if she feels able to return and see the body it might give her some closure, knowing that Ginger is no longer in pain. The injury to the head should be covered if possible. Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am thinking of how upset she will be, and to minimize her grief.

Will the other person who shares the horse be there? Could they comfort each other?

Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

So so sorry for you all. As Ilona says, being with an animal that is having an injection is not the same as seeing one dispatched with a gun. I also saw a deer shot near my home recently and it upset me to see the movements that it made immediately afterwards.
Only Izzie knows what she wants, as long as she knows the full implications of seeing it. As for you being with her, the same goes. You have to do what you know you can cope with.
A dreadfully sad day, even though you know it is the right thing to do. {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Oh dear, Lucy, I don't think I could make a decision for a sixteen year old. My ex daughter in law's horse had to be shot, and my son said there was blood everywhere. Poor Ginger, let us hope that she is not traumatised beforehand. At sixteen I don't think I would have wanted to be present when the horse I rode had to be put to sleep.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

How sad, I've never owned a horse or known one well, but I have heard from others about the strong bond they can share with people.
I would also worry about her being there, what she sees cannot be unseen & might haunt her for some time. Only you know her character & how tough or sensitive she is.
{hug} for her whatever happens, she'll need plenty of them I'm sure.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I am not horsey at all, but when I was about 18 I saw a hunter put down on a track at the side of my uncle's farm. It was quick, it was merciful and as an anti-hunt protester I had to admit that they all behaved admirably in the circumstances. Having said that, I can still remember the sound and the smell (sorry to be a bit graphic). As I am now 68 I would suggest that the best place for Izzy it at some distance from her much loved horse.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I'm pleased to say that Izzy has made the decision to stay away. She doesn't want her last memory of her to be of that. She's going to spend the day with her on Saturday and we're going to do a little photo shoot to get some lovely pictures of them together. I've also found somewhere that weaves and plaits some of the tail hair into a bracelet so she can always have a little of her with her {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, MC I really feel for you all. {hug} {hug} {hug}

I know your daughter has made her decision, but I wouldnt have stopped her tbh. Clare and I have seen a few horses that she owned shot and I was absolutely amazed as to how quick and trauma free it was. All of ours have gone down with a carrot or some such thing that they liked in their mouths. It was quick, efficient and pain free and they didnt even know it was coming, where as have seen sedation especially when young horses involved that fight to the end.

Did the vet say whether it was kissing spines?

Just to add the ones we have had shot didnt have an enormous amount of blood flow after.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

So sorry to hear about Ginger, poor Izzy must be devastated. I think she has made the right decision and the photos and jewellery made from Ginger's mane/tail will be of such comfort for her. Sending hugs to you all, I really do feel for you {hug} {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thanks again {hug}

Yes Gwen, the main problem is kissing spines although he said there were weird things going on with her pelvis too. She's getting on in years now (19) and the vet said he wouldn't recommend surgery as it was too severe and she's too old {cry}
Lucy x

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lucy so sorry to hear about Ginger. I am so glad Izzy is not going to be there at the end, it is not a memory she will want of her beloved horse. Bless her she is so young to have to suffer this loss and so brave to want to do the very best for Ginger. She has of course a very loving mum to help her through.xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I thought it might poss be KS. This from our experience will throw up other problems as they don't move properly because of the pain, so not really unusual that she has pelvis issues as it will be out of line with her different gait.

I think I am right in saying that the pain and probs are apparent before the spine fuses, once it has fused the pain goes away, but like you say she is a fair age at 19 and to keep her pain free would possibly be something like Bute which in its turn if given over a long period of time at high doses can cause, think its liver and kidney probs.

With a lot of horse probs you usually find yourself as the owner between a rock and a hard place and can only go on the professionals advice, a lot of common sense from you and make an informed decision on the facts.

Huge {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} to you all.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Izzy was really hoping her owner would try to find her a home as a companion as with painkillers she may be ok in the field but her owner doesn't want to go down that route. She is worried that she might end up with someone who would try to ride her or skimp on medication, which I can see.

I wish we could afford to take her but if I could ever afford a horse for Izzy I'd want one she could do stuff on... I generally only like horses from a safe distance but she is such a gentle soul.
Lucy x