Leather harness for dogs

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Leather harness for dogs

Post by Spreckly »

My dog's harness plastic "buckle" snapped a couple of weeks since, and I replaced the harness with a rather inferior type from P..ts a. H.....e. It needed adjustment, ie taking in in four places, and as I have posted previously, Angel still managed to find her way out of it, leaving me holding her lead and harness.

I have ordered a replacement plastic buckle and shall endeavour to replace the broken one, but though I have looked on dog accessory sites, I have been unable to find the good old fashioned leather harness with real metal buckles. A friend has had one for her dog for many years, so I know that they did exist.

Has any dog lover any suggestions, please.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Leather harness for dogs

Post by Mo »

Google for a leather-worker or saddler in your area and have one made?
Might be dearer than several replacement ready-mades though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Leather will be really expensive.
I have a Ruffwear harness for Megan. It is really sturdy.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Google "leather harness for dogs" and it brings up lots of sites selling them.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for your replies.
unicornleather
Learner Laner

Post by unicornleather »

Did you find what you were looking for?

Hand made leather harness is expensive but then there's a lot of work and expensive materials gone in to it. You can get massed produced cheap riveted leather harness the majority of which has been made abroad including the materials.

This leather harness below is hand made using quality cast brass fittings and cost the customer £120 but this harness will last a life time if cared for properly.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

I use webbing harness with metal buckles, the side release clips you mentioned really can be very weak under pressure and the dogs can chew them and get out of the harness that way.
Sadly I see the plastic side release fittings on car harness for dogs too, again these type of clips really are not strong enough for that sort of pressure.
Here's 2 of my dogs in their webbing harnesses
The first one has elastic incorporated in to it to act as a shock absorber when an inertia car seat belt slams to a stop if you brake hard when the harness is used as a car harness.

Image[/URL]

Second one is just a walking harness with out the elastic

Image[/URL]

I agree with you OP I always recommend everyone to buy any harness with metal buckles and not plastic side release clips, seen too many clips pulling open and failing.

Oz
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I wasn't able to get a leather harness for my sheltie, the ones I saw were all for much larger dogs. In the end I bought some new plastic clips from ebay, and replaced the broken one. I do check them, and make sure that the harness is on properly, and also use a second lead, clipped on to Angel's collar.
unicornleather
Learner Laner

Post by unicornleather »

If you have a saddler local to you and you decide in the future that you'd like a leather harness, ask them to give you a quote on one .
wendy

Post by wendy »

If you go onto working trials sites, I am sure they will have them for sale.
I hope the plastic claps work OK.
They are always breaking so I hope all goes well

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

excuse me butting in here, but someone suggested I get a harness for Mojo; our young, enormous, very boisterous golden retriever. We've only ever used a collar & lead but he is so strong now that I struggle to hold him when he's excited. Yesterday I ended up bottom down in the mud & the person that helped me up thought a harness might be easier for me. Do others find this to be the case? (I know training is important too & am trying my best!)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

kitla wrote:We've only ever used a collar & lead but he is so strong now that I struggle to hold him when he's excited. Yesterday I ended up bottom down in the mud & the person that helped me up thought a harness might be easier for me. Do others find this to be the case? (I know training is important too & am trying my best!)

My answer would be "Yes", my Better Half often ended up on her rear end when we first got Max, we also used to have Turkish Kangal dog who was unbelievable strong. We invested in harnesses similar to the one I used to put on Casey when doing working trials. We use the harness in conjunction with a flat "Figure of 8" lead. No more uncontrollable Max trying to catch a cat for breakfast! )t'
"Not all those who wander are lost"
wendy

Post by wendy »

Dog trainer hat on here.

If you watch Worlds strongest man. How do they pull trucks, via a harness around their chests. ......Because that is where the strength is.
Same with the dog, so you may struggle with a harness as well.
Best thing to stop him pulling, straight away, is a head collar. There are a number of makes. Dogmatic, Halti, Gentle Leader etc, etc. It doesn't teach them to walk properly without them on. But a handy stop gap while you teach the dog to walk nicely. Rather than him pulling you in the road, or you landing on your bottom.

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I used to walk a choc lab who was as strong as a train. He had a head collar which the owner didn't used very often, so he mostly got his own way. I used it, he didn't like it, trying to scratch it off, but it worked. Just as a precaution I used an ordinary collar and lead as well in conjunction with it, because he sometimes slipped the head collar off. A tug on his nose kept him in check.

As Wendy says, IMO a full body harness on a strong dog that pulls, is going to make the problem worse.

Ilona
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

thanks for the advice. Mojo is actually not too bad at walking normally on the lead, it's just when we meet someone - or especially another dog, he just gets too excited & all the clickers, whistles, treats, commands etc etc fade into the background for him, now he's started jumping up (never did that as a pup) so I need a bit of instant control. Think I may try the head collar first, it might just remind him who's in control (or trying to be) & see how it goes.
Sorry to hijack your thread spreckly.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant