New puppy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

New puppy

Post by Mercedes »

My son and his family are picking up an 8wk old cavalier kings charles spaniel at the beginning of August.

I'm a tad worried about how long she will be left on her own and wonder if anyone knows how long a puppy can be left alone before they become lonely or anxious. I know that for the whole of August, as it's the school holidays, someone will be around every day.

However from September when our granddaughter goes back to school it means my son and his wife both go back to work, by which time their puppy will be 3mths old.

My son works full time and our daughter in law will be working 9am to 3pm but is planning on popping home at lunchtime to let the puppy out. I keep thinking that is too long for a puppy to be left alone, not so much in that it might need to go pee or poo, but that she might be lonely which could lead to her being unhappy and possibly destructive.

I hope I am worrying needlessly :?
Lyn

Re: New puppy

Post by wendy »

You know puppies need constant care, supervision and company Lynn.
Popping back for lunchtime isn't enough, although many do, do it.
Housetraining may take longer, and they can grow wild like weeds.
How sad that at 3 months a baby is being left on it's own.
But you know that don't you ?
It really was down to the breeder finding out the facts of what her puppy, is going to have to live with.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

wendy wrote:You know puppies need constant care, supervision and company Lynn.
Popping back for lunchtime isn't enough, although many do, do it.
Housetraining may take longer, and they can grow wild like weeds.
How sad that at 3 months a baby is being left on it's own.
But you know that don't you ?
It really was down to the breeder finding out the facts of what her puppy, is going to have to live with.

Yes I guess deep down I did know all that Wendy, was kind of hoping I was wrong. I have told them how important it is for them to take the puppy to classes, so she will be enrolled in your classes as soon as she is home, which is good.

As OH has taken early retirement I have offered that we help out on a daily basis. Unfortunately it can take us quite awhile to get from our side of Watford to theirs thanks to Bushey Arches, but we are willing to go and look after her every day for an hour or so. It would be easier if we could have her dropped off at our house, but unlike my son who has wooden floors throughout, all our house is carpeted and I can still remember how tough it was house training Daisy and I really don't want to get my house ruined by a young puppy, selfish as that sounds :?
Lyn

Post by wendy »

)t'

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

This sort of thing makes me so livid. Why don't people think. I have to bite my tongue most days with my neighbours, especially as I have only lived here for 6 months and don't really know them. Apparently 4 yrs ago they decided they wanted a dog and bought a beautiful long haired Alsatian (or it might be a German Shepherd). They both work full time and this dog is shut in a kennel and run from around 7.30am to 6pm ish Monday to Friday. It very rarely gets walked, the only redeeming feature is they have a huge garden and make her run up and down chasing toys. Can you not persuade them against getting the puppy.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Totally agree Granny. There were two beautiful huskies in my street, I only saw them twice in the last seven or eight years. Once when they first got them and tried to walk them, gave up because they pulled, surprise surprise. The second time two dog sitters appeared and attempted to take them out, they gave up also. Poor dogs spent all their time trapped in their fully paved back yard always barking. Don't know what happened to them, the people moved, the dogs disappeared sometime before.

Why do people make such silly decisions to have animals without thinking through the implications. And don't get me started on back street breeders, the practice should be banned.

Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I hope I don't upset anyone here but getting a new puppy, a pack animal and leaving it on it's own for hours is so irresponsible.
I have a neighbour who has had three new dogs at different times and got rid of them because they were destructive, messed or barked constantly. These poor little dogs were so lonely and bored on their own, this being the cause of their behaviour.
If only people would think before putting a dog in this situation. }hairout{
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Times have changed, and maybe people's ideas haven't changed with the times.
In the 40s & 50s there were many homes where there was a 'housewife' at home all day. Now not so often the case, yet people who had a dog as children will think that is the normal thing to do.

Mind you, I can remember a lot of dogs who were let out to roam the streets. No dog-wardens back then.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

True Mo.
But dogs haven't changed. it is us that now think they should fit into what we want.

Rather than thinking what is right, and what the dog would want. Which very often, nowadays, is the exact opposite, to what the owner wants sadly.

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Our neighbours - Grandma, Daughter (her house) and Son, now early thirties, have about seven dogs. They cunningly only let them out two at a time, so it is now impossible to count them. During the day, the daughter and son go off to work, leaving Grandma to look after the dogs, who love barking, and set my dog off. Grandma is in her mid nineties, and rather frail. She can be heard yelling at them, and one seems to be permanently shut in somewhere away from the others, where it barks and barks. Last year they got three border collie puppies, to add to other border collies and a very skinny labradoodle.

We would be delighted to see a For Sale sign up as the dogs are not the only problem, rats, an untended garden, you name it.

We always wonder what will happen when Grandma is no longer at home.

The plus side is that in the summer, Daughter and Son clear off at the end of the week, taking most of the dogs with them (not the labradoodle). Peace reigns.

I have a friend who is frequently asked to have her family's young dog overnight and during the day.

I can only think how frightened a puppy would be left on its own all day, and do hope that the right decision is made.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Unfortunately so many people don't make the right decision and are totally selfish. They have the attitude "we want a dog for our spare time" or as a status symbol.
Spreckly; why haven't you reported the situation next door to you.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Granny - the Council just don't want to know, and the RSPCA say that unless there is neglect, there is nothing they can do. The neighbours just get away with it.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Is it a council house or private?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Private, worse luck! Sorry Mercedes, don't mean to upset your thread, and hope a good solution is reached for the puppy.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Oh dear, I don't think you're worrying needlessly Mercedes - but I doubt you'd be able to change their minds. I only hope that the pup manages to deal with the situation once it's left on its own.
I'm perhaps too soft with animals and am lucky enough to have been able to arrange to leave my 12 year old dog with my mum during the six hours I work now. I would have worried myself sick at the thought of him feeling stressed and abandoned even at that age.
I think people generally forget to see it from the dogs point of view, we are their family or pack and being left alone will cause stress and one unhappy pup.
Personally I wouldn't do it, I hope your family manage to find a solution with the pups best interests at heart x
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein