New kitten

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

New kitten

Post by Bluefinch »

I picked up a new kitten on Tuesday. She is adorable and very playful. My existing cat Pip is not too sure though and still hisses at Poppy although they have touched noses once or twice. How long should it take for Pip to accept the newcomer. This is the first time I have introduced a kitten to an existing cat. Previously just had one cat and then had mother and daughter so not experienced this before.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: New kitten

Post by Grannyof4 »

How long is a piece of string. It sounds as if it is just verbal, so your kitten might learn a few words she shouldn't!!!! I have had years and years of introducing cats as I was a bit of a one-woman cat rescue. The main thing is that they don't start fighting and the nose touching looks hopeful. Make sure that your older cat doesn't get her nose pushed out, so lots of cuddles etc.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks for your reply Grannyof4. Pip is definitely disgruntled but I am giving her lots of attention so hopefully she will come round. I chose a kitten rather than an older cat as thought she would take to it better.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Grannyof4 wrote:How long is a piece of string. It sounds as if it is just verbal, so your kitten might learn a few words she shouldn't!!!! I have had years and years of introducing cats as I was a bit of a one-woman cat rescue. The main thing is that they don't start fighting and the nose touching looks hopeful. Make sure that your older cat doesn't get her nose pushed out, so lots of cuddles etc.

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I used to have cats (sadly no more) and to me that all sounds very positive )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi. Sounds ok to me so far. I have two young ladies that don't like each other very much, they are never going to be friends but they tolerate each other.

Years ago I had terrible kerfuffles between my established cat and a newcomer that wanted to be top cat. I was almost at the end of my tether with what to do next, I was advised to feed them in the same room together. It worked, the fighting became less and eventually stopped, although they were never friends.
ilona
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I started off feeding them separately but then thought that was a bad habit to get into. They now feed together in the kitchen but Poppy tends to prefer Pip's plate and then Pip just glares at her and goes outside rather than telling her off. We will get there. Thanks for the replies.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Bluefinch wrote:but Poppy tends to prefer Pip's plate

LOL must be a cat thing - when I used to put food out for the cat and the dog, the cat always had to go and put his head in the dog's bowl to see if it was more interesting. I should add that as a result, I never had a fussy dog as she'd try to eat as quickly as possible (if she did turn her nose up, then I knew she wasn't well) before the cat came over
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I think we are getting somewhere very slowly. Pip is still disgruntled with the newcomer and doesn't come into the house much, just for meals. I did see them sleeping in the sunshine in the garden though only about two feet apart so hopefully that is a step in the right direction. Poppy although boisterous and playful does not annoy Pip too much just pounces on her once in a while wanting to play and gets cuffed round the ear! But it doesn't seem to worry the kitten.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Bluefinch wrote:I think we are getting somewhere very slowly. Pip is still disgruntled with the newcomer and doesn't come into the house much, just for meals.

I bet that changes when the weather outside is less than inviting in the coming months LOL. It does sound like Pip has accepted the newcomer though, so sounding positive )t'