Giant rabbits

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Giant rabbits

Post by Trev62 »

During previous visits to a local small livestock market we came to notice that many people were selling rather large grey rabbits, they had one to show you their full grown size then the smaller youngsters separate. Being a couple of softies we immediately put our mind to having one of these and then set ourselves the goal to keep it as a house rabbit.

On our return to the following month we returned with this bundle of skin and bones that would hopefully develop into a fully house trained free running giant bunny.

To date............. he/she has doubled in size, filled out and loves nothing better than playing with the tortoise, chickens and dogs in the garden. All under supervision of course, only problem so far being my 13 year old Belgian Shepherd Dog who does not take to kindly to being woken up from her deep sleep by a rabbit, or anything else for that matter!

House training is coming on, Percy (stop laughing but the name suits) lives in a large dog crate and happily heads out when the door is opened and returns when he wants to eat, sleep or just chill out. Toilet training will be a long task, but he is pretty good now with his litter tray in the cage but we will have to get a larger one and start to place it outside of the cage eventually.

I think we also got the runt (again) as his ears fall to one side and he cannot raise them up, we are not sure if it is because they are so big or his ear muscles have yet to develop or they are damaged. The vet will check him over when they visit to do the dogs jabs.

Our Bulgarian neighbours think we are mad as they only keep rabbits for food and they shake their heads when they see ours running around freely with the other animals.

If I ever manage to crack this photo adding lark I will add a picture, you never know a talent scout may see it and make him famous, in the words of good old Del Boy "This time next year we could be millionaires!"
"Not all those who wander are lost"
wendy

Re: Gaint rabbits

Post by wendy »

)like(
I had a Flemish Giant when I was a child
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

wendy wrote:)like(
I had a Flemish Giant when I was a child

We are not sure what breed ours is, possibly a German or Flemish as they look very similiar.

Did you feed yours anything special because of the rate of growth and size?

We went out and cut and dried meadow hay from the fields around us, a task to be repeated again later this week and supplement that with pellets and a wide variety of vegetables.
wendy

Post by wendy »

To be honest this was back in the late 1950's.
So she was fed what all rabbits were. Which if I recall was rolled oats etc. etc.
None of the fancy stuff they have now.
She grew to a great size ad lived until she was 10

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Cannot wait to see a photo of Percy. I have never had a rabbit as a pet but would have loved one as they do make lovely pets. Glad he is settling in so well. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

albertajune wrote:Cannot wait to see a photo of Percy.

Would love to oblige, tried to put one on but failed.............again............and again...........and again! I just get a line of gobbledegook appearing in the post }hairout{ so the delete button is used, now that is one thing I can do that works properly, delete things, computers?.............forget it, things were easier when the "abacus" ruled the day.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Well I think we must have picked one of the most bad tempered rabbits in Bulgaria! When he returns to his crate and finds no food the bowls and plates get thrown everywhere, if we do not let him out quick enough in the morning when we return from walking the dogs his crate is trashed, newspaper ripped up, sawdust and hay thrown everywhere. He has taken to drinking out of the dogs water bowls using his own to put his ears in when laying down to keep cool!

A right character when out and about.

He loves carrot top leaves so we have just placed some carrot tops on a shallow tray to see if they will re grow their foliage, I seem to remember doing this as a kid but may have got things mixed up again, but if it does work at least we will have a supply over winter for him.

PS. I say him but it could be a her, something to work out later!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

What a great character he sounds!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep sounds very like my Kiki. )grin2(

I put photo's on via photobucket, maybe you can try it that way
look forward to seeing them

Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

wendy wrote:Yep sounds very like my Kiki. )grin2(

I put photo's on via photobucket, maybe you can try it that way
look forward to seeing them

I manage to re size the photos in photobucket but when I copy the link all I get is a list of computer threads in the post but no picture. I even exit the thread and recheck but still just several long lines of computer jargon. I know it is my limited computer ability as it works for everyone else! }hairout{

Anyway, today Percy took himself of to investigate the chicken coop, then after watching us put them to bed he decided it would be fun to climb up one side and slide down the other! Once brought inside he discovered the window sill is now within his reach and candles are fun to play with, next discovery was the dogs bed is more comfortable than his so that is where he is now. ~eep~ For a little rabbit he has cheek and I have never known anything to eat like he does, heading out for more hay tomorrow.

Fun house here at present but a rather hectic one.
wendy

Post by wendy »

{rofwl} a real character.
Hopefully Richard might be able help you out re the photo's. I will nudge him.

p.penn

Re: Giant rabbits

Post by p.penn »

Trev, once you have uploaded to photobucket, you copy the IMG link and paste it into your post. Hope this helps
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

Sorry, been a bit elusive to Forum last week.

It's slightly different now, but you should be able to follow this still..

[center][youtube]74Z_KMMnyHU[/youtube][/center]

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Thanks Richard, will make an attempt later. )t'
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Percy @ 6 weeks old, he has gained a lot of weight since then.

Lastest episode, we took our eyes of him for a few seconds and he chewed through the electric fan cable!