Homer struggling to get up on slippy floor

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Homer struggling to get up on slippy floor

Post by Dee »

Ive put few things up regarding Homer recently but Ill give a quick reminder lol.
Hes very nearly 17 , very poor sight and little hearing ..
Hes on steroids for his achey joints and these seem to be really helpful except for the fact he's struggling to stand up on parts of the house where the floors are slippy ..
I have put rugs everywhere along with non slip matting but the last two nights hes woken us up as he has managed to get stuck in one of the very few places where he found it difficult to stand up !
Once he's up he walks around quite well...
Part of me thinks should I be thinking about making' that dreadful decision but he's eating ..very well lol( still steals the cats food), drinking and doing most of his toilet business outside ..we have the odd puddle but that's no problem at all..
He will have a short walk and really seems quite content ..
Anyway I saw these on the internet...they are expensive but I would happily give them a try ...has anyone used these ? or does anyone have any other ideas ?

http://www.orthopets.co.uk/mobility-solutions/ToeGrips

Im away for two nights soon and have a wonderful neighbour who will be coming in but im so worried encase Homer gets himself stuck when hes on his own , as he is each day as I work mornings , so just want to try to sort something for him !
Dee
xx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Homer struggling to get up on slippy floor

Post by lancashire lass »

Dee wrote:Part of me thinks should I be thinking about making' that dreadful decision but he's eating ..very well lol( still steals the cats food), drinking and doing most of his toilet business outside ..we have the odd puddle but that's no problem at all..

if he is eating and going about normally, I'd say that he has not reached the stage where quality of life has deteriorated - you'd know it when you see him in pain and not happy ... {hug} and even then, you would question if you were being hasty (comes with the guilt and worry {cry} )

Dee wrote:Anyway I saw these on the internet...they are expensive but I would happily give them a try ...has anyone used these ?

I'm just concerned they may get eaten ... but other than that, I don't know any more, sorry

Dee wrote:Im away for two nights soon and have a wonderful neighbour who will be coming in but im so worried encase Homer gets himself stuck when hes on his own , as he is each day as I work mornings

just a suggestion but is it not possible he can stay with the neighbour (or other) rather than be on his own? If the worst should happen, you might wish you had planned the trip differently
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Have you done an internet search for non slip dog socks?

Our rescued Turkish street dog is allergic to certain pollens so we brought him some waterproof socks/boots that helped but did not last long but when investigating alternatives we came across non slip dog socks which may help Homer. I will track down and PM you a link.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have never seen them before.

I wonder if they may bother him once one. Some dogs won't walk with something on their feet.
Only way is to buy and see, maybe try the socks first if not as expensive.

Bit of a dilemma going away while he is not as steady as he was.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning