Failed rescue

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Failed rescue

Post by Spreckly »

A dear friend of ours, who is retired had been accepted by Greyhound Rescue to take an ex racing bitch, which would be her fourth home. OH and I know how difficult being a fourth home is.

The dog had previously been owned by a couple who due to altered shift patterns, had to give her up, and she ended up in kennels for several months.

Our friend who has owned dogs before was delighted with her new girl, but found that taking her out at night into the garden was more difficult than she envisaged. Her home has no door directly into the garden, and the poor dog was having accidents inside the house. She also did not want to walk on lead, an issue which my son had with his last dog. Sadly the greyhound is being taken back by the Rescue service, as our friend realises that she just cannot cope.

Winter is a difficult time to take any animal on, but we are hoping that this lovely girl will get a forever home. I feel for our friend and also for the greyhound, it has rather coloured our week.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Failed rescue

Post by Freeranger »

Hmmm. Very sad. What a shame people don't think these things through before the upset for everybody.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh that is sad.

I hope she had given it a try, as any rescue can feel very apprehensive in a new home, especially as it is the 4th home.
They will have accidents !, should take on an older dog like Megan who poops inside more than out But hey ho I took on an older dog, As they are very unsure and frightened.

I have never heard of a retired greyhound not walking on a lead. They are walked, on lead, for miles and miles when they were racing. In fact I always say at least you won't have a dog that pulls when you get a greyhound.

Has she owned a dog before.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Yes, Wendy, she has owned dogs before, but in India!