Marley Puss

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Marley Puss

Post by Maisie23 »

So, we adopted Marley from a friend of a friend. Two years old, neutered but unvaccinated. Wormed and flea' though.

He is hiding out in the kids room (step children/teens, visit weekends) under the bunk beds, coming down to eat, drink and excrete, at night. Also coming down when we call his name, for a fuss on our laps and a groom in his original 'coming home' crate, which is still in situ from when we brought home home. He is also using the litter tray perfectly too.

Currently we are not handling him, plus he is inside for 3 more weeks so he imprints 'home'. Don't want to upset his balance or intrude on his settling in period but obviously need to get him vacc'ed, chipped and checked.

Any advice, I can't stand the thought of cooping him up and taking him for painful injections {cry} but I have probably talked myself into it by now!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Marley Puss

Post by lancashire lass »

When I've taken any of my pets to the vets, I've always been amazed that they don't seem too fazed about the injections - and once the visit is over, they quickly forget (also helps to give a treat when you get home - you are the good guy) The problem will be the next visit for boosters .... they seem to sense something and will inconveniently disappear on the day of the appointment and you find yourself having to be canny LOL

The vaccinations that protect from cat flu and other nasty diseases should not be seen as something to avoid - I've seen a cat with cat flu and it's the most heart wrenching thing to watch, especially when it is avoidable (cat flu is not like human flu ... it is fatal) And better to have a check over to make sure all is well and keep your pet healthy. And also get advice about the various flea treatments and worming and so on - it's for your protection as well.

I'm sure Marley will quickly settle again and be happy in his new home )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I think you are handling Marley Puss in the right way. When we had our last little cat, she was 10mths old and spent the first 2weeks behind the sofa. She ended her old age glued to my lap whenever I sat down. As for the vet; once Marley is happy with you and where she is, she will be much easier and less frightened at being handled by a stranger.
None of my animals have liked going to the vet but it is over so quickly and injections and micro chipping do need to be done at some stage. Stressful (probably more for you) but necessary

Good luck )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I had a cat , Simba was his name . Sandy colour Huge big stray cat that I feel in love with , slept under my arm . Gentle giant . He ddied because my mothers cat that had no injections came to stay at my house when she (mother ) went into hospital . The cat had Feline AIDS and gave it to my poor Simba of which I had to have him put to sleep as was in agony and pain and stopped eating etc.
Fortunately 2 other cats , Stevie and Sabre was not infected and survived . had to lock the new cat in garage till it died . This is a wicked illness and can be jabbed against . I now pay as much as it takes to make sure the cats are protected .
If your cat escapes as well you need it Micro chipped , I would do it as soon as possible . Then at least you may see him again.
Best wishes .
bob
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

Thanks for replies.

Little bit of background, my mother was a veterinary nurse for 20 years so I have a rudimentary knowledge of animal health. The issue is that that expired a few, long years ago. I am familiar with modern worming and flea treatments, which both have been applied to Murff.

We also have him booked in for vaccs and have kept him inhouse. Trouble is, I tend to the chooks each day, they run, jump and climb - he just has to watch!

Feel guilty (shush Mais) but also worry about him meeting chooks >coc<

That's on a diffferent thread :-D