does anyone keep budgies?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
kitla
Legendary Laner

does anyone keep budgies?

Post by kitla »

The aquarium shop my son works part time at has taken on 17 budgies that were left behind when their owner died. They've built a small aviary for them but my son thinks they dont know anything about looking after them. I kept budgies about 40 years ago, too long to remember much, but I've always loved them & want to see them looked after properly, I may even offer to help out as I know they're busy at this time of the year. Is anyone here a mine of information on budgie care?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: does anyone keep budgies?

Post by Mo »

Well, when I was a child I think they were the pets for people who knew nothing (along with tortoises!!!! & goldfish from the rag & bone man).
We kept ours in a little cage, kept it supplied with seed & water + cuttlefish, let it fly round the room sometimes and tried to teach it to talk. Probably not ideal.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:Well, when I was a child I think they were the pets for people who knew nothing (along with tortoises!!!! & goldfish from the rag & bone man).
We kept ours in a little cage, kept it supplied with seed & water + cuttlefish, let it fly round the room sometimes and tried to teach it to talk. Probably not ideal.

we did more or less the same - small cage, a cover like a towel over the top when it was bedtime (why? I have no idea), the occasional fly around and tried to teach it to talk ... unsuccessfully. I think the biggest problem was everyone either being at work full time or at school (I left for school at 6.30 am and didn't get home until 4.30 pm) so the poor wee thing was bored all day - definitely not ideal
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My uncle breeds them, has done for years and I always had one when I was younger. He breeds prize winners. I wouldn't claim to be a mine of information.

They are very social birds, in the wild will live in very large flocks so companions and plenty of space is the key, as with most birds really. Mixed seeds, millet, cuttlefish and mineral blocks to peck at, branches to perch on and maybe some sandpaper on the floor or around perches for them to keep their claws trimmed. Plenty to occupy them, and liven up their diet with fruit and such. And little private nests if they wil be pairing up and laying - probably not in a pet shop. They will need their aviary cleaning regularly or the droppings will lead to a build up of ammonia.

Very similar to chickens really, but on a much smaller scale!

And the towel over the cage is to simulate darkness - as with most birds, they sleep when the sun goes down but of course in our houses the sun never goes down!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I went to see them, they are very beautiful, lovely colours & seem healthy enough. One of the managers used to keep birds so knows enough about them.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant