Some really bad news today

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Some really bad news today

Post by Gwenoakes »

Clare our daughter who owns Teddy a GS has been to the vets tonight to get the results of an allergy blood test taken the other week as he is constantly itching and secondly because she noticed he has clouds appearing over both his eyes.
He is according to the tests allergic to dust mites, reading 722, house dust mites, reading 185 and two types of storage mites, reading 370 and 601. Anything over 150 apparently is not good. We can deal with the above in whichever way will be best.
That was bad enough, but the vet examined his eyes and told Clare he has something called Pannus, which is an immune medicated disease, which apparently is hereditary, cannot be cured, usually affects GS especially along with Greyhounds and other breeds when middle aged (Teddy is 4yrs old) and can be helped by antibiotic eye drops, which he will have for the rest of his life. The bottom line is it could send him blind.
These clouds on his eyes have come within the last two weeks since having the blood tests, so pretty quickly.
To say we are all devastated is a totally inadequate way of describing how we feel right now.
p.penn

Re: Some really bad news today

Post by p.penn »

Oh no, how sad for you all. Poor Teddy. Please let us know how he gets on {hug&kiss}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} poor Teddy - hope he feels better soon with treatment. We had a Jack Russell many years ago that developed a skin allergy ... to grass among other things, and his ears always looked painfully sore. We had to bathe him with an emollient shampoo to help soothe the itchiness and also apply a barrier cream, and of course, try to reduce contact with grass as much as possible. Poor thing didn't understand why his favourite walking places were forbidden.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Poor Teddy.
At least you have found out as quickly as you can. So it can be sorted straight away.
Lets hope you don't get to the worse case scenario.
The breeder will need to be told, as it is hereditary.
{hug} {hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Oh dear, how awful and such a young dog.

As Wendy said, at least it's caught early, so let's hope it can be controlled or at least slowed down.

Richard {hug} {hug}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks. The breeder is no longer with us, Wendy and we only know where one or two of his siblings are unfortunately, but we do know that one of the people who has one has already bred from them, so.....bit like shutting the stable door after horse has bolted.
We have started deep, deep cleaning today, well Clare has done it tbh as I have been busy baking.
Had a little time to look at things like Diamatus (sp) Earth and other options for the allergies yesterday evening, so will delve in deeper to that over the next few days. Have read that freezing things kills mites off, so looks like my freezers are going to get filled up with bags of his soft scent training toys, as washing at a low temp which we have to do for these toys does not kill mites. So, you freeze and then wash at a low temp after first shaking them outside. Looks like we are going to be busier than ever, but hey ho, if it helps.
I was concerned about him being allergic to grass, LL as that would have been nigh impossible to deal with. Although this Pannus is made worse with UV light, so it is recommended to keep him in in the summer. Also high altitude does not help either, not that that will affect us and where we live.
Will keep you updated p.penn.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We had a Rough Collie with skin allergy. His beautiful ruff had to be shaved off on more than one occasion. We changed his good to J....es We.......ed, and put him on Bob Grass's blood tablets. He had allergy tests done at the vets, thankfully he was insured, but nothing specific was found.

The change of dog food certainly helped to keep the allergy at bay.

I do hope your daughter's dog's condition settles down Gwen.
wendy

Post by wendy »

One of my friends Akita's was allergic to clover ??? Like grass, difficult.
But in the end they had a serum made from his blood and he was injected every 6 months. It did solve the problem. But unfortunately expensive.
Well done you two

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What a worry for you and what a shame that there is no treatment for your poor boy. I can only imagine the amount of work that is initially facing you in trying to get rid of any mites that are in the home and of course unseen. Good luck Gwen for both you and him. {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They are talking of injecting him every month, Wendy but they do not recommend this until we have tried all other avenues, i.e. the deep cleaning etc, etc.
Got to be honest, I am beginning to feel that my house is rather dusty/dirty with all this cleaning lark. We are going to start de-cluttering as well which should help with the mites, especially the storage mites apparently. Time will tell if it works or not.
We have always said since moving here that it has been much dustier than the previous house. Fair amount of traffic including large tractors etc passing close by and fields all around us which with only an acre are much closer to the house than previous one.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I know what you mean. This house has more dust, than our previous one..
But
1) I live right on a Junction of the M1
2) I have the parrot, who you wouldn't believe the dander from her.
In fact our son Paul is allergic to her, the day after the accident [he stayed the night, as they all did] we had to call a paramedic and whizzed off to hospital. Needless to say he doesn't visit anymore. We just meet for a meal now.
Allergies are awful

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I'm so sorry about Teddy's condition Gwen {hug} .
I don't know how I'v missed this post so much Love and Healing thoughts coming your way for you all, and your beautiful boy {hug}
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Little update. Over Xmas despite cleaning everything within an inch of its life Teddy is scratching more, so Clare took him back to the vets on Tues and got two weeks of steroid pills for him. Had to do something as he was making himself sore and bleeding.
Discussed with vet for the serum using his own blood and instigated that to be started, but it is sooooo expensive and guess what she has changed her insurance and they will not cover it. Vet said that even this may not work, so will just have to see. In the meantime, still cleaning, damp dusting and steam cleaning anything and everything, also washing things at a much higher temp as well to kill the little monsters.
On the upside though he has finished his AB eye drops and the vet said his eyes looked no worse, so Clare has to keep an eye on them and go back for AB drops when she feels necessary.
Looking back anytime he has been inside anywhere that is where he is scratching the most, i.e. in the builders yard, garden centres, even if its cold in there he goes mad scratching and of course he is inside more in this weather than in summer, although that will create its own probs with his eyes and the sunshine this next summer.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

How miserable for Teddy, and upsetting for you and your daughter Gwen.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Gwen how is your'e lovely boy keeping
Love and Healing Thoughts to you all
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you