Bruce the hamster

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
sandy
Legendary Laner

Bruce the hamster

Post by sandy »

I am babysitting my god daughter's hamster , I had a gerbil 45 years ago and cant remember what veg and fruit I gave her. Anything she would like? At home she just gets hamster food but i would like to treat him even though he has drawn my blood twice already!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Bruce the hamster

Post by Gwenoakes »

LOL, I remember fondly (not) when I pulled my hand up from the hamster cage and it was hanging onto one of my fingers.
Hamsters are apparently short sighted and nocturnal, so if you combine the two you have a grumpy hamster that you have woken up together with one that cannot see too well also, not a good combination.
I used to give our hamsters carrots cut up into very small pieces and other veg. If I were you I would have a look on google as our hamster days are long gone and things may have changed.
If the hamster is not used to getting 'extra's' I would be careful of an upset tummy, just a thought.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I found it hand when I had Amelia. To buy frozen mixed veg and defrost for her.
There was a good variety and it was cut up small. Just a quick dry and she loved it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thanks for the tips guys )t' the websites are not at all informative }hairout{ no fear I shall be buying looking after a hamster and a bigger cage as quess what, Bruce's former owner 8 year Tianna dosent want him back {cry}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry, but had to {rofwl} as that is how we have aquired some of our animals, including horses.
I hope Bruce has a long and happy life with you.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not learning responsible ownership. But sadly that is what happens.
Also I don't think hamsters are the best pet for a child. As the are nocturnal. Gerbils are a better bet. As they are busy in the daytime.
Good luck with Bruce. The don't live much longer than a couple of years sadly

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I used to look after my Granddaughter's hamster and he loved a small chunk of cucumber, as well as my finger!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I bought a new hamster cage at p a h as the existing one was such a faff to clean and I was having problems reattaching the ladders }hairout{ It is lovely for him, now why havent I taken a photo! The young lady in the shop was so helpful , I was going to get the cage with lots of tubes but she said not only would it be hell to clean and put back together again sometimes a bloated hamster could get stuck in a tube. I told her Bruce bies me so she showed me how to pick him up without bleeding. We rubbed our hands in their bedding and we picked up a hamster each in cupped hands, no biting! This has worked well with Bruce for over a week until last night he went on a biting frenzy >coc< So ungrateful afte I had bought him a little bridge and some flavoured wooden fruits. I am at a bit of a loss why anyone but a night owl wants a hamster, he sleeps all day.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I take it you are not a night owl then, Sandy. LOL
I think the main problem is that they are nocturnal and therefore if you go to them in the day they are either asleep or sleepy which makes them kinda grumpy if moved/picked up, but good luck with him.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

It must be hot ,Bruce was led out feet strecthed behind and infront of him on his ledge last night, I thought he as a goner until he nearly bit my finger off when i smoothed him yike*

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

praps you need to get him a little mini fan Sandy
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

sandy wrote:It must be hot ,Bruce was led out feet strecthed behind and infront of him on his ledge last night, I thought he as a goner until he nearly bit my finger off when i smoothed him yike*

All animals are having a problem with this heat. A small fan sounds like a good idea and put the cage as low as you can as hot air rises, perhaps on a damp cool towel so it cools the cage down.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Tonight as with every night I went to replace Bruce’s bedding and food and refill his water bottle. I went out from work tonight so didn’t check on him. His water bottle was full so I feared the worst as it is always half empty. Bless my beautiful little boy he had passed away. He wasn’t a bit friendly but I loved him all the same and now he’s broken my heart. Hope you are running around on your wheel over the rainbow bridge my little darling x

wendy

Post by wendy »

{cry}
Aww they don't live anywhere near long enough.
But I am sure he had the best of life's with you
{hug} {hug} {hug}

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

{hug} RIP Bruce and run free at Rainbow Bridge.