Rescue dog disaster

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Rescue dog disaster

Post by Spreckly »

Friends of mine, a long time dog owner adopted a former stray from a rescue centre in Spain. All went well for four weeks, when the little dog became agressive towards other dogs. He had been running around at the centre with lots of other dogs, some quite timid.

Then the little dog started growling at visitors, and finally jumped up and bit a visitor in the face.

He had to go, obviously, and my friends learned that he had previously been rehomed at least three times.

My friends were devastated. S had always fed and walked the little dog, and the rescue centre owner/manager told her that he was trying to protect her against her husband.

My friend has had rescues in the past, without this problem. She feels dreadful for the little dog.

I thought I would put this on, to ask advice, opinions, etc. I know Wendy has done a great deal of work with problem dogs.

Thank you.
wendy

Re: Rescue dog disaster

Post by wendy »

Oh Dear,
What a shame for them and more so the poor dog.
Certainly he should never been rehomed, because of his history, until he had seen and been worked with by a behaviourist.
I have to say if mine was growling at visitors. He wouldn't have been allowed near them until some work had been done. A growl is a warning. He was telling them, he wasn't happy with visitors. Whatever reason the rescue gave
Unfortunately some of the 'foreign' rescue's are more good intentions than knowing what they are doing. Not saying that is so here. But I do hear some horror stories.
We will never know what dogs in this Country have been through, so certainly haven't a chance with ones from abroad.
If he was an adult street dog, he was probably better off left where he was. An environment he knew and was happy with, even though not a life we want for them.
To keep him in a kennel the rest of his life is cruel, so unless they can get someone to sort him out, to a degree. It would be a one way ticket.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear about your friends problem with the dog, Spreckly.
Have to agree with Wendy on this one and I mean no harm or malice to anyone, but there are thousands of dogs in this country that need re-homing and you stand a better chance of understanding their needs and getting some background information, although not always, which must make for a happier beginning.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Wendy and Gwen - thanks for your replies. Actually OH and I hope that the poor little dog is no longer.

I think my friend has seen so many dogs in Spain that need re-homing, and wanted to take one back with them.

I told her about Many Tears, which I've mentioned on other threads, but she seems determined to get a dog from Spain - with I might add - a passport, microchip, spay, etc., etc.
wendy

Post by wendy »

and sadly Spreckly they cost so much more because you have to pay for. Pet passport, rabies jabs etc. travel on top of the fee.
My daughter has a lovely one from Spain....against my better judgement. Cost her an awful lot of money.
Now she has found out he has had distemper as a very young puppy, he was 5 months when she got him, and it has left him with epilepsy .
again costing her a fortune monthly.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

So sad about your daughter's dog, Wendy. Even from rescue kennels in UK, you don't always get the truth, or from a breeder for that matter. Two of my sons have had fairy tales spun to them when obtaining a dog.