My cat has a runny nose

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mo
Legendary Laner

My cat has a runny nose

Post by Mo »

Are cat colds the same as human cold - my nose was streaming on Saturday, now Pat's looks damp. And he's fussing round me as if he wants something, not sure want.
Am I right in assuming it will clear up as quickly as mine has.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: My cat has a runny nose

Post by Gwenoakes »

I was told by a vet some years ago that cats could catch a human cold, but we cannot catch their colds.
I would just watch and wait for a while to see how it progresses, but if there is sneezing and wheezing that can I think be a sign of something more sinister. {hug} {hug} To you both.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

viruses and bacteria that cause sneezing, sore throat and runny nose tend to be species specific so your cold shouldn't really be passed on to the cat but there might be something like an allergy such as dust or pollen? I think with cat colds you just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get worse. Like most people with colds, he is probably feeling miserable and wants to be made well again. Hope he gets better soon.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Cat flu is quite dangerous. So if you are concerned, a visit to the vet I am afraid
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

lancashire lass wrote:viruses and bacteria that cause sneezing, sore throat and runny nose tend to be species specific so your cold shouldn't really be passed on to the cat but there might be something like an allergy such as dust or pollen? I think with cat colds you just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get worse. Like most people with colds, he is probably feeling miserable and wants to be made well again. Hope he gets better soon.

Totally not cat related, but ....
When I had ferrets one of the things I was warned of was that if we got flu, we could pass it on to them. Apparently it works the other way too, a ferret with flu can pass it on to people.