Cat question. HELP

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mo
Legendary Laner

Cat question. HELP

Post by Mo »

Pat is prowling about, pestering me and smells pooey. There is a long bit of grass or thread hanging out of his bum.
Should I do anything? For the moment he is shut in the kitchen with a litter tray.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Cat question. HELP

Post by albertajune »

diarhea and stomach ache , the reason for eating grass. Make sure water is down but would not give food today. If the same tomorrow I would definately take to a vet who will medicate. Your cat must be feeling poorly as they are clean animals but yours can,t cope with cleaning itself. Hope he will be well soon.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Thanks, he seems normal this morning.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank goodness! He may have picked up something outside and eaten it. Talking from experience I would keep him on a light diet for a couple of days to give his tum plenty of time to fully recover.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Our cat does not go out, she is 19 yrs old and has never really been interested in the outside world.
When any of our dogs/cats have had a strand of grass protruding I have 'gently' pulled it out, but I do mean gently, any resistance I just leave.
Glad he seems better today. Is he very old, Mo? I seem to recollect you asking if cats could catch our colds some time ago, or maybe I have muddled you up with someone else.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think he's 15 or more, can't quite remember when we got him, he was a stray that a friend took in but couldn't keep as he didn't like their caravan, and they spent weeks away at a time.
I've notice recently that his black coat has orangey-brown patches in it. Wondering if it is loss of pigment similar to going grey. He is scratching out a lot of black fluff - getting his winter coat maybe. We noticed that when daughter's pony got a spring / winter coat the colour looked different.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Mo - I am not sure about the grass coming out of his bottom - we don't seem to have had that. We have three cats who, only because of the horrid main road we live on, are house cats, but they do go out in the garden with us and actually eat grass. Ozzy always has a tendency to be sick when he has eaten grass and I have always been under the impression they need to grass to get rid of any fur balls. Your cat might just have swallowed the grass instead of bringing it back up so it has to come out somewhere. Glad that he seems fine now - he possibly has just eaten something outside that he shouldn't to give him the runs. In my experience cats are usually quite good at sorting themselves out and know when they need to eat grass etc.