rehoming v selling

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mo
Legendary Laner

rehoming v selling

Post by Mo »

A bit on the radio today saying that rehoming centres expected a lot of dogs bought at the start of lockdown would soon come to them for rehoming, but because of the steep increase in price of dogs they are being resold instead.
In my area at least there has also been a surge in thefts of dogs.
It struck me that horse owners always sell their horses / ponies if they are outgrown or unsuitable. so what is different with a dog costing a thousand or more?
But also that there might be a place for a welfare organisation to offer home-checks for people selling/buying, for a fee or donation.

Responsible people will want a good home for their animals, and sometimes circumstances can change.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: rehoming v selling

Post by lancashire lass »

I think it depends on how you view your pet and past experience - mine are part of my "family" and just as I wouldn't sell a family member, I could not do that to a pet. If I was unable to keep any for whatever reason that I could not resolve (whether due to my own health or financial situation), I would rather they were rehomed than sold. At least I would feel happier knowing that the potential new owner was screened and checked before the animal was released. Selling for finance reasons feels wrong and apart from careful breeders who do all the rights steps to make sure their puppies go to good homes, there's no way of knowing what will happen to a pet once the new owner takes it away.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: rehoming v selling

Post by Gwenoakes »

I know some people go on the idea that if you pay for something you will value it more, but not too sure about that in this day and age.
It all depends on which rehoming place you go to as someone I know went to a rehoming place and they never did any checks whatsoever. The dog ended up in a reasonably good home, but it could have turned out very different especially as the person rehoming had a small child.