My cat is driving us bonkers!!!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Julia
Longlasting Laner

My cat is driving us bonkers!!!

Post by Julia »

My Ginger cat (cunningly named Ginger) has taken to being such a whinger. He starts early and as soon as we are up just trails around after us, fills his lungs and whines continuously whether he has food or not.

He moans on and on all day about everything.

He's about 15 and is fit for his age although we suspect he is going a bit senile.

Is there anything we can do? He's driving us nuts.
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

My old Tally lived until she was 21 and she was like that for the last few years. But usually in the middle if the night !!! we would be fast asleep and she would come in the bedroom and start, it used make up lift off the bed.
We never found a way to stop her, it was just old age. In the end we shut her in the spare bedroom of a night LOL
I would suggest a visit to the vet, you never know it may be arthritis or similar, best to get him checked out. Then learn to live with it :-D
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

My Tomcat whinged and whined for the last 3 years of his life. And for the last year of it he smelled like he was already dead! He was struggling with food, so ended up on chicken and rice. He only shut up when he was eating,so I fed him a lot if chicken. He last whined for chicken only 2 hours before he crawled under my bed and died. I buried him in our garden with a chicken fillet and an air freshener. He has an ewok to mark his grave, as it was the closest thing to a cat, within price range at the garden centre. I did love my Tomcat.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hmm. Ginger the whinger eh? :shock:

You are a poet, though you don't know it! )j;

Helen

PS. Sorry, no idea what to do about it! :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

no idea sorry, our old dog blue turned into a bit of a whiner/panter worrier towards the last few years of his life. We had to shut hom out of the bedroom at night. Checked at vets nothing wrong, Maybe he is going a little bit funny and cant remember why he started going on in the first place and now enjoys the sound of his own voice?
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The only time a cat we owned turned totally into a different personality was a few years ago.
She usually just slept around the house, but the last few weeks would just not leave me alone.
Took her to the vets and she had cancer and had to be pts, so get him checked out, just in case.
I do hope it isnt something nasty.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I've heard about that - it's called cognitive dysfunction in cats. (as read about in Your Cat magazine)

Symptoms can be: soiling in unacceptable places, noise, unusual behaviour and sleeping patterns

Apparently (if it is that), then as they're effectively going senile, then they need routine, familiarity and reassurance.......I can't remember, but I think I recall some herbal remedies helped, or at least some medication - but I can't for the life of me think what - no help I know!!!
Small steps lead to big changes
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Yes, cats can suffer from dementia. Have him checked over by the vet in case he's suffering from pain somewhere and is trying to tell you.