Ginger cat is not well

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Ginger cat is not well

Post by Julia »

My Ginger had the hicupps on Saturday night but ate some chips ok (he has varied taste) but on Saturday he couldn't swallow. It was obviously hurting him and every time he put his head down to eat or drink he gave up.

As the day progressed he got more miserable and I was worried that he hadn't had anything to eat or drink by 4pm so I syringed some water down his throat and this seemed to get him started and he had some eggy milk and a long drink of water.

He then had some chicken too.

This morning he's still not keen on eating and gives a sort of little cough when he tries to eat but has had some food and eggy milk.
I took him to the vet thinking he might have something stuck (although he's not a scavenger) but the vet says he thinks it's a fur ball.

Ginger is 17 and has never had a furball in his life so I'm not convinced. He gave him a long acting antibiotic and anti inflamatory and I've got some Katlax to put down his throat 3-4 times a day for two days.

Please let me know what you think about this furball idea.
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Hi Julia

My old cat used to get fur b alls but he had long hair and he did used to heck sometimes!

Seems he may have eaten something that maybe scratched his throat?

They are a worry i hope he gets better soon!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Thanks Stace.

It's a funny sort of neck stretching when he swallows and a funny sneezy cough like he's trying not to sneeze. I've never seen it before.

It's definately upset him, he's sitting in the plastic bags in the cupboard at the moment but he's not happy.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Could it be that he's eaten some grass and it's got stuck half way down? Does he have access to grass.

I saw a vets programme once and there was a dog who'd tried to eat some grass and it'd got stuck - he had to have an op to remove it, but he was fine afterwards. The hairs on the grass had anchored it onto the sides of his oesophagus.
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

Are cats allowed olive oil?

Maybe give him a little dose of that to see if it helps move the furball along a bit?
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Yes he does have access to grass and we did have a revolting incident once when he tried to sick it up and it went the wrong way and two days later it came out of his nose. :shock:

Thanks for the olive oil suggestion I think the Katlax does the same job. It sort of greases the passage.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I Remember that Julia!

I bet you he has done the same sort of thing again!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Did the vet have a good look down his throat? Could he have got hold of a bird or mouse, maybe got a bone stuck in his throat.

They eat grass for medicine, to help bring up fur balls. If he has long hair and grooms himself a lot, fur balls do happen but they come up naturally, you don't notice it because they usually go down the garden and have a good cough.

Keep checking on him, the medicines should be kicking in soon which will make him feel a bit better. Maybe Bluebell will be along soon, she works at a vet practice.

Ilona
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Must say Julia, whenever mine had furballs the first I knew of it was the retching and production of the gooey mass! :shock:Can't remember it actually making them unwell.

Does sound more like a little something either stuck. or perhaps has scratched the throat.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

He's perked up a bit now but he does have a terrible habit of hamming it up when something's wrong.

He has eaten a good bit this afternoon and it doesn't seem to be giving him as much trouble to swallow

I think you're right PP I think it is somthing stuck or a scratch.

I'll keep giving him the Katalax and see how it goes tomorrow.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Sorry he's not been feeling well. He is a very handsome boy though!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Although it may be a furball, our short haired cat sometimes gets them and vomits them up in clear fluid, it does sound like something could be 'stuck' and causing him discomfort.

If he is no better tomorrow why not give the vets a ring and tell them you are concerned that Ginger is not happy and you think something is stuck. I work at a vets and the vets are approachable, don't ever be afraid to ask questions or query what they are doing.

Just something you said about eating chips, if chips are greasy that may have just made things a bit more bearable to swallow. Giving him a little bit of olive oil would work the same way as the katalax. I often give our cat a bit of tuna fish in oil, he loves that.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Thanks for your comments. The vet says to come back in three days if nothing has changed and he might need and x-ray and has warned me that they are expensive. :shock:

Haven't got over Christmas yet.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Poor chap. I hope he's better before you need the x-ray, Julia.

My ginger cat suddenly started snoring a while back & the vet said he had tonsillitis! Cost a fortune.

He also hams it up but I love him to bits and nothing is too much trouble when they are poorly, eh. Like Bluebell, I always have tins of tuna in olive oil for when they're a bit off or just need a treat.

If it's a scratch it will heal up by itself. I think you will know if something is stuck as he will keep coughing/retching/sneezing to remove it.

Hope the little fella perks up soon (f+
Jackie xx
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Ginger is much beter today. Not perfect, but better. He's whining for food and eating it so here's to hoping he's on the mend.

Thanks for your support everyone.