Ive got a wierd one now...dog related

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Ive got a wierd one now...dog related

Post by untouchable »

I had one of my staffie bitches spayed a couple of months ago because she doesn't have the 'right' stafford temperament to pass onto pups (quite nervy, looks to her sister for courage if there's a scary wheelie bin to pass, that kind of thing)

Anyway, Flurrie (the spayed one) has always been a bit of a lump, she weighs 22kgs and is the most undainty bitch I think Ive met lol

Right, since I have had her done, she has decided that the toaster is the most frightening thing she has ever come across, bear in mind they are 5 in August, and even though its not been used every day, I have used it quite alot all their lives.

Well now, whenever I plug it in, Flurrie makes a bee line for the stair gate (between kitchen and dining room) and leaps over it :shock:

She then stands shaking looking at the toaster confused> . If I shut the door in the kitchen, so she can't jump out, then she sits in the corner cowering, even if I give her lots of love and attention. Dryft (her sister) isn't bothered by anything at all, just takes everything in her stride.

Can spaying make them go a bit doolally? I thought it is supposed to calm them down, not make them neurotic lol
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!
wendy

Post by wendy »

No, not that I know of. Need to make sure there isn't anything medically wrong with her.
But I would suggest something has happened, knocked the toaster over or something that you haven't even noticed and it has spooked her.
If you can I would put the toaster on the coffe table or something and just leave it there, so she can see it is a totally imanimate object. Give her a treat everytime you go past it.
After a couple of days when you think she is settled a little more. gently push the handle down and give her a treat everytime you go past it. Making sure it does bang back up again.
Then hopefully she will realise it isn't going to kill her and will be OK with it.
That is the best thing to do with a vaccum cleaner dogs are worried about. Just leave it out and reward each time the dog is calm around it, go onto turning it on and off without moving it and eventually the dog is habituated to it.
I hope you aren't thinking of breeding your staffie. The rescue societies are stuffed to the roof tops with them. Last year Battersea had over 55% of dogs taken in were staffies or staffie crosses. The first time ever they had more of a breed than cross breeds. This is right across the board. Ther have been numerous meeting between the societies Dogs Trust, RSPCA. NAWT,Battersea etc. etc. over the very great problems with staffies in rescue.
Good dogs are dying in rescue kennels because they are not big enough to hold so many and also some are dog aggressive, so cannot double up with another dog, just so people can buy a puppy.
I think it is time to hold back on the bredding for a while to let things calm down.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Great advice as usual Wendy.

The staffie problem has been highlighted in various dog magazines and also the Dogs Trust website. I think at first they were being put in dogs homes because people were scared of them as they were said to be aggressive, which is completely untrue for a properly brought up staffie, they are the most affectionate of dogs. Another problem is due to this reputation ferel youths seem to choose them, but of course after a while get bored and the dog needs rehoming but they have taught them to be aggressive.

Its a big problem for the breed.
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

lol Wendy, no Im not breeding from the other one, I just can't afford another £220 to get her spayed yet.

I always think, that for every 'new' puppy thats born, means another fully grown one isn't rehomed out of the centres...and there is alot of staffies in rescue homes +cry+
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Too right sweetheart, too right.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
charlwood1005
Lively Laner

Post by charlwood1005 »

untouchable wrote:lol Wendy, no Im not breeding from the other one, I just can't afford another £220 to get her spayed yet.

I always think, that for every 'new' puppy thats born, means another fully grown one isn't rehomed out of the centres...and there is alot of staffies in rescue homes +cry+

Try asking your vet for a discount or shop arround, check with your local animal shelter sometimes their vet will do the op at greatly reduced prices. Blue Cross sometimes set a price based on what you can afford. A dog that has been done is happier, healthier lives longer and in the long run saves you money.
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

The RSPCA sometimes do 'discount'.

Have you thought about actually giving her some toast from the toaster? then she might start to associate it with something yummy?

x
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

Only just seen this post. We bought my son a staffie pup when he was 11, Thinking he would end up not looking after her, I would end up looking after her.How wrong we were, he loves her to bits (as do we) and has looked after her as good as any responsable dog owner.About two years ago he bought his own house and took Jess with him, his girlfriend moved in with her young staffie Marley. The dogs are best of friends. Jess has always been the most gentle of dogs, very soft with young children, and so is Marley.Any body young or old can walk up to pat them.Jess is 14 in spring and we are dreading when her time comes, We will all be so so sad. Staffies look hard, but all the ones I have known have all been soffties. Some of them tend to go for other dogs, but never go for people.They are expecting a baby in August and I have no bothers about the dogs and a baby, I think they actualy like babys. Jess has been great with the grandchildren. I get to look after them when they go on holidays YAY.
chickens rock!!!
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

Staffords are also called 'Nanny dogs' for that exact reason. My first staffy was bought about a month before I found out I was pregnant with my eldest, and she was just brilliant with him.

These two are just a bit too bouncy and boisterous to be let out with Hope, they would knock her flying then lick her to death lol.

Ive half solved the toaster problem...I use the grill now )c+