insurance for dogs

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
jo68
Legendary Laner

insurance for dogs

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

iv got insurance for my toby but have just found out that he is not covered for complimentary therapey eg behaviourist i really need some one 2 one help with him but it is so expencive has anyone got a policey that covers this thank you )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Jo,

Try checking some of the more pricey policies on offer, perhaps via your vet. Generally, I`ve found you pay for what you get. Dont cancel your policy yet until you`ve done the research!

You may find your vet needs to refer you to a behaviourist themselves for you to be able to claim. This is often the case for "extras" such as hydrotherapy, accupuncture etc. Some policies have limits on how much you can claim per condition, how long you can claim for that condition for or how much excess you have to pay.

One thing to watch is that if your dog has a pre-existing condition when you take out the insurance, you usually cannot claim for that condition or switch between insurance companies to and still be covered if you have already claimed for a condition. this might apply to a behaviour-related claim too.

The premiums seem to have gone through the roof recently. I guess more people are claiming for things they may have just paid for in the past.

Dont know if this is any help to you. It can be confusing!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Lilo-Lil has made given you some really good advice there )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

thank you lilo the dog trainer said that pt plan offer this but the monthly payments are a bit pricey i think i will have to save and pay for it if hes doesnt get any better.

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Good luck, hope you get the help you need soon
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
wendy

Post by wendy »

To be honest we have always paid the money, we would give to insurance, into a building society as the dog fund.
It is there all the time and we now have enough that we could pay for private medical care for oursleves to be honest.
The only thing is you have to hope that the first dog is healthy enough for you to build up a little bit. To pay for major problems.
It started when we had a multi dog household and they didn't do block insurance. We would have had to pay for all eight dog seperately. So we just paid an amount in. Nothing yet has phased us and we have had two dogs with auto immune problems over the years.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

TBH I have started to do the same recently when the premiums went up as mine are all oldies now.

I did have a few huge claims years ago, and so kept up with the premiums until they all hit 10, and by then I guessed they would not need too many big things in the future.

All mine were with PP, but I did get a good deal as I was in the know, so to speak, with them! )t'
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

we do the same as Wendy, we pay money into an account for the dogs each month to cover any unexpected bills and funeral costs for the dogs. We dont take the boosters or worming money out of that as that would not be covered anyway.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills