Anaesthetic - must admit I'm nervous

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Anaesthetic - must admit I'm nervous

Post by Richard »

Saturday's the big day, I have my Shoulder Operation.

Great Hospital, known to be very good Surgeon and have no problems about treatment etc., but I must say, the closer it's got, the more nervous I've become of being 'put out'!
Guess it's I've had a few TIA's, have a murmur and an irregular heart beat etc. and so fighting off fears of it not going well.

I put all the history on the Form, so I'm sure they would say something if there were any dangers.

Silly really, everyday event and this time in three days I'll be thinking 'what a Prat'.

So - no horror stories please !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: Anaesthetic - must admit I'm nervous

Post by madmum »

Ok, prat it is then )j; good luck )t' this time next week youll have two good arms :!:
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Many years ago I had to go in for a minor op. They gave me a slight jab. Next thing I remember I was asking the nurse if I was going in, She replied we were going down to the ward!
I did get tired a few days afterwards which was probably because I tried to do to much but if it was like that then it must be a dood1e now.

Don't fret and all the very best.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Richard I had an op a couple of years ago and was really scared about the anaesthetic as the last time I had one it made me so ill I was very afraid of it being the same.

The consultant couldn't have been more caring, and the anaesthetist came specially to talk to me before they put me out. I have to say I had no problem at all, not even slight nausea afterwards and would not be aprehensive about another one - although obviously wouldn't want one!

Good luck Richard we will be thinking of you :-D
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Guys.
I have to be there at 7am., so just hope I'm not sitting around til 4pm to go in !

Richard

PS - Won't have the laptop with me !!!!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

When I was told I need this little op they said I would go to a small hospital on Sunday and have the op on Monday. I said I would be walking along the A11 back home, I really didn't like hospitals. They booked me in to the one 10 minutes away. I now remember it was the day after the 'big storm' (you remember it was like a hurricane and all the trees fell own). I rang the hospital and said 'well, you wont want me there today'. The Sister said in no uncertain terms that they did. I really didn't want to go but honestly it was fine (except the food).
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Richard, try not to worry, I am sure everything will be fine.

I had this op a few years ago and I have not had any more trouble since. It made such a difference.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I was nervous as well when I had my op in July. I was concerned because both my parents died of a heart attack at a young age, 46 and 64. The surgeon came to see me in the ward, he was lovely, I had to wait my turn, third on the list. The one before me went off, I thought me next, expecting her to come back, but of course you go in the recovery room for a while. Then all of a sudden it was me.

I walked to the theatre, laid on a trolley in the prep room, they put the drip into my hand, kept asking me all sorts of questions to keep me talking, then I was gone. It was like a nice dream, can't remember how I got into my bed back on the ward. Don't worry Richard, they have every modern piece of equipment these days, you are monitored throughout, you will be fine.

Just take your laptop with you so you can do a bit of work while you are hanging around, ha ha :-D

Ilona
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Just before they knock you out, they put a little bulldog clip thingy on your finger, so that your heart-beat is amplified and you'll hear the ping ping sound. This means that everyone in the theatre can hear it, rather than relying on someone to notice on a monitor. So if your ticker speeds up or slows down they'll all notice by about the third beat!
wendy

Post by wendy »

As you know I have had two since last November and many, many over the years. All ladies problems.
The anaesthetic nowadays is so much better than it used to be. It used to knock me out for a good 24 hours after. But these past couple have been very good. I have been fine as soon as I came round.
I think, if we are honest, all wary and that is understandable. But you will be fine, they do all the pre checking and if there were any problems at all you wouldn't be having the op until it was sorted.
You will be a new man
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well, I guess as long as it doesn't affect my good looks, all's well 8)

Thanks.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I'm more interested in your TIA's, my dad got those last year, very scary!!
I'm sure you will be fine Richard, one of my absolute biggest fears about having a baby was an epidural - I even told the midwife I was NOT having one under any circumstances...but I ended up getting one and it was not as bad as I anticipated.
The fear is usually worse than the event itself!!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Strangely babycakes, TIA's are not to say you will get a fully blown Stroke, nor are they necessarily warnings that you will have one.
They're not good things to have of course, but tend to scare another person more than yourself.
The symptons usually go after a few hours, 24 hours max. I just got very disorientated and couldn't seem to work things out and got slurry in my speech. Having a speech impediment made it worse, luckily someone told A&E I had this, or they may have thought worse of it.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068981/ I'm sure you know all this anyway.

I haven't had one for quite a few years, but have had lots of migraines, had one today, but I had a Brain Scan about three years ago and got the all clear, the best thing was they found it !!

I'm supposed to take half an aspirin a day, but typical bloke, haven't had one for about six years!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

My dad said it was like looking through the bottom of a cut glass whiskey tumbler. He was off school for months because of it and was not allowed to drive. I did not mind as Grace was only born 3 or 4 weeks when it started so I got to spend loads of time with him. Turned out not to be TIA's but something to do with a trapped nerve in his neck.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Richard, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine and very pleased with the results. Anaesthetics are so much better nowadays. My mum has suffered TIA's and has had several ops since these started - one of them a major heart op and had no ill-effects.

Just keep your hands off those nurses :-D We know what you're like :razz:

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway