Sore neck, back arm? Who knows

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
TURFEY
Lively Laner

Sore neck, back arm? Who knows

Post by TURFEY »

Hi all,

This has been bothering me for a while now and not sure if any of you have had similar problems that can help me.

I have a dull ache in my neck, back and down my arm and most of the time I know it's there but the can get along nicely as can be but the last few weeks it has been really bothering me. I can't seem to pin point where the pain is though.

It's not sore to the touch but it is uncomfortable if I turn my neck to the right and there feels like a achy feeling in my right shoulder blade which then makes my arm ache.

I have tried resting it for a a few days and also tried using it as much as possible for a few days and neither appears to make it any better.

I have also taken ibuprofen and also used deep freeze on it - again neither have helped at all.

I am not one to go to the doctors easily and wondered if any of you had some wonder treatment that I could put on it or take.

I am back to work again tomorrow so definitely no chance of rest - and to top it all off hubby has gone away for a few days and the auto opener and closer on the hen house decided not to work tonight so I have had to take out the batteries - cut the string and drop the door down - so my ladies will be having a lie in tomorrow if they like it or not (the sun rises here before 6am!)

I feel a little better now ha ha
- agh my neck hurts when I move )hlp>
wendy

Re: Sore neck, back arm? Who knows

Post by wendy »

Ooo poor you.
Sounds like you have a trapped nerve or similar.
I think a visit to the Doctor, probably, is called for.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

You could try googling the main words like "pain, neck, shoulder, arm" and see what comes up.

If it has been going for a few weeks did you do something before it started? Or are your pillows/bed worn out?

An osteopath or chiropractor might be better than doc, though you have to pay an arm and a leg, so best to go to one that is recommended by friends as good, and one that won't keep you coming back over and over for more treatments.

I went to a chiropractor after many years of terrible back pain, he gave me some exercises to do to stretch my hamstrings and piriformis (?) muscles, and I was cured!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

yeah could be a frozen shoulder or nerve like Wendy says , i have had that for many years its wear and tear of the neck in my case, try doing some soft movements with your neck chin to chest hold for 8 then up again, this will help relieve some tension hope you feel better soon

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Sounds a lot like a nerve to me. I get something very similar when I am stresses. In fact, the problem feels like it is always more in my arm but I know that there is a stiff muscle at the back of my kneck which is causing is.

For me, the treatment is to chill and massage, tiger balm, hot water bottle and ibruprofen.

Good luck )t'
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

After an experience I had where I ended up with both shoulders frozen and impinged, I would go to the doctor asap to get it checked. I didn't and wished i had gone earlier. It may be nothing but best be sure.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
TURFEY
Lively Laner

Post by TURFEY »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice, we have got a good mattress (only a few years old) and I only use one feather pillow. When I lie down flat on my stomach with one pillow and with no pillows I can feel a dull ache.

I have been using Ibuprofen and thinking about it I don't know if it might be something to do with my arm. For over a year now I am sure I have had RSI - I went to the doctor about it and they were VERY unhelpful!! When I am am sat down using the computer at work after a while I get the pain in my shoulder and tingling down through my arm.

Think I am gonna have to go back and see a different doctor and if they don't sort it out I will see if anyone can recommend a back doctor.
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I have a similar thing off and on, hurts to turn my neck, hurts all along my shoulder, tongly arm. Mine was cervical spondylosis[sounds good doesn't it?] and I went to a physiotherapist, who told me 3 of my vetebrae in my neck were out of place [also sounds good].
It happens from time to time, and it's v.painful.
To be honest, it could be a combination fo things by the sound of it.
The shoulder/tingling thing is usually because when you're on the computer, you're resting your hand/arm on the edge of the computer table, and pressing on nerves.
Go back to the doctor and tell them everything..
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Go to the doctor's I'd say. You could be messing about with this for years if you don't get it sorted out and that's a long time to be in pain.

I had similar about ten years back and they said it was a trapped nerve hence the tingling in the fingers. I went for an x-ray and they found out that I had broken my collar bone years before and my shoulder was sitting differently. The physio gave me some excercises and I used ibuprophen gel and I have had no problem since.
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

Hi, I have a herniated disc (a.k.a. slipped disc) in my neck which causes a whole range of symptoms from neck thru shoulders down arms into hands! Can be muscle spasms in my shoulders, pain down my arms, tingling/numbness/hypersensitivity in my hands - all kinds of things. Also pain in the shoulder blades from time to time.

I'd agree, see a doc, it does sound like something to do with your neck or thereabouts. Maybe you tilt your head in a particular way when on computer which is aggravating things??

Good luck with it.

CA!