Been prescribed an inhaler!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Been prescribed an inhaler!

Post by kate egg »

Hubs finally forced me to go to the docs today, I have been coughing for over two weeks, not got a cold just a cough. Sometimes it has woken me in the night and I have coughed so I thought I would be sick or choke :? Slept upright on the settee a few times. Its the second time its hit me in the last 6 weeks.

I felt a bit of a fraud saying 'I have this bad cough docter' but she checked my chest with a stethoscope and asked if I had a family history of asthma (no) as my airways seem to be not clear.

I came away with a prescription for 3 items (OMG that cost £21.60 :shock: :shock: ) an inhaler, a clear plastic thing to make it easier to use and antibiotics.

No wonder I couldn't make it up the hill to the field to walk the dog yesterday :?
p.penn

Re: Been prescribed an inhaler!

Post by p.penn »

I too have an inhaler and a plastic thingy to make it easier to use, for asthma. I have had it about 2-3 years now although I rarely use it these days - I haven't needed it now for ages, probably 6 months to a year.

When I first got it , it certainly helped and I have had a couple of mild attacks since. But nothing to write home about! My docs keep nagging me to go back to the asthma clinic for an annual check but don't see the point if there's no problem at the mo!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's strange how some things are catching us with 'more mature' types.
It's always been 'when we were kids we never got such and such a thing', but not any more.

Makes you wonder what we've done to our environment doesn't it.

I guess the positives are that you know what it is and not anything nasty nasty and can change your outlook etc. to accomodate it.

But, it's a pity and I'm sorry to hear it.

Go for it gal and keep positive.

Richard :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mrs Fuzzywig
Longlasting Laner

Post by Mrs Fuzzywig »

Try not to worry about it too much, it could just be your GP going a bit OTT (not uncommon these days), you may not need the inhaler for ever, just until the airways are clear again. I've been asthmatic for 32 years and only nearly copped it once when I was 17wks preggers with my daughter, I had bronchitis on top of an egg allergy (not a good combo) but I lived to tell the tale. I have two inhalers which I puff morning and night (if I remember), haven't had an asthma attack for 20 odd years (touch wood). The thing with asthma is to find out what triggers an attack of weeziness and avoid that trigger, it could be anything from pet hair to black grapes! Good luck with the inhaler and antibiotics and don't forget to keep us updated.

Carol
Carol

The trouble with having a really good sleep is, you're not awake to enjoy it!
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Try not to worry Kate, I have an inhaler which I may not need to use for months on end!

It is very common for symptoms to be worse in the middle of the night. I`ve been bad the last 3 nights, first time in ages. Then I remembered I had forgotten to take my hay fever stuff for the 2 days before! This is always a trigger time for me. I have to be careful if I mow the lawn too on a breezy day, or if people round me have done theirs (lots of this over weekend too this week).

I also suffer worse if I have a cold. I get the flu jab each autumn as I work in a school, and know I will be at higher risk of chest infections etc. I now use the brown preventer inhaler in September, as this is always a bad time of year for me.

Perhaps having 3 very fluffy cats sleeping on the bed is not a good idea. Hay-ho, life`s too short!

Knowing your trigger is half the battle. Good luck and try not to worry too much.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
WelshGirl
Lively Laner

Post by WelshGirl »

Hi Kate
Don't panic ! I was prescribed an inhaler last year after a bout of asthma. Imagine , at 42 suddenly having a bout of asthma ! I still don't know what triggered it but I now have an inhaler morning and night (purple colured one) and then the usual blue coloured inhaler (ventolin) should I need it. My first bout of this was 6 months ago and I have had nothing afterwards. So it doesn't mean to say you're going to suffer forever. I agree with Richard though - its an indicator of what we have done to our environment. Try to find out what triggers it and then you can manage it without all the dr-ugs and inhalers. Getting to the source of it is what you need to do rather than treat some symptoms. Good Luck !
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I get a cough several times a year and generally get it bad over winter.

The problem I have is I have a large lung capacity and can almost get the blow meter of the scale. Even when I'm bad it's better than most peoples reading. The doctors always tell me although I feel ill I seem healty.

I think what I need to do is go to the Doctors when I'm well and get them to do the measurement so they can compare it when I'm not to good.

They make me feel I'm an hypocondriac but when I've had it for more than a week or so and I'm almost falling off my chair because of the coughing it's time to get checked. It happens to me most years.

I have sniffles maybe 40 -60% of the time.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Well it has certainly helped )t' The cough is reduced to an annoying small cough every so often instead of coughing till I was nearly sick, and no coughing at all last night :-D Once I have gone a day without coughing I will stop using it and see what happens.

Seems I am not alone with this sort of problem :)
Kelly
Lively Laner

Post by Kelly »

Poor you! Prescriptions are so expensive too, Check on line for Pre-paid certificates , if my memory is correct, three or six months costs about 27.50. it might work out cheaper this way and will cover you for other prescriptions. Both my children have suffered with asthma and the inhalers are really helpful. Its possibly the high pollen count which is triggering the attacks.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Hi Kelly - I was floored when I got the inhaler and picked up my two standard repaeat prescriptions - cost me £36 :shock: :shock: luckily the nice lady in the chemist told me about a prepayment certificate and that if I made sure to apply with that days date I would get a refund. It cost me £104 for a year which works out at £8.66 a month so I will save every month without any extras. It came really quick and I got my £36 back )c(

Since I went on holiday to Devon on 6th June for a week I have not had to use it, but it is in the cupboard just in case...... Either that or I will move to the coast (in my dreams)
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Hi Kate-egg

I too have an inhahler but rarely use it, only if the weather is very cold/dry or hot/humid and I have been for a run.

Did have very bad asthma as a child the inherited kind (from my Dad) but I grew out of it. I should have been hospitialised one time but the weather was too bad for the air-ambulance to come.

It came back when I was in my mid to late 20's when I was cycle-ing (sp!#??) to work (10 mile round trip on a busy road) so I suspect the two may be related.

I also get invited to the asthma clinic but don't go as feel it is not bad enough to justify it.

If you find you are not using it very often ask your GP two put two inhalers at a time on your presciption but you will be only charged for one item by the Chemist and this will be cheaper that the pre-payment.

Can't belive the prescription charges, we only pay £5.00 per item up here
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. Albert Einstein
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Prescriptions are free in Wales! Anyhow I haven't needed to use it at all after the first couple of weeks so that's good )t'