Teeth - or lack of !

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Teeth - or lack of !

Post by Richard »

I'm quite excited today, I have finally taken the plunge and arranged to get them sorted out.

The story goes that they weren't too bad a few years back. I went to a Dentist who said I ought to have two out and this and that = £1,600 I think it was.

Then they all started moving about and have gradually fallen out, or have been taken out one by one until I have the present - grand nine teeth in all.

As I have no intentions of going down the local Barn Dance to find a fair lady, I was quite content with carrying on. But with Grandchildren asking to look at them every time I go down there and a few ribbings at work, I thought I'd better do the right thing.
Plus I can't eat properly and speak too well either - falling apart!!!

No way can I afford 'new one's', so I regret it's the dentures route and having the remaining out.

So I've booked an appointment with a very reasonably price place in Plymouth and will go there for the first visit in two weeks.
I'm still about £200 short, but am working overdrive for the next two weeks to muster up enough. I've saved for this all through the summer - no credit cards - cash.

Yes, Plymouth is 5 hours away, but the price is right.

Needless to say I shall keep you all immaculately posted with regular up-dates. I don't care, best to be honest isn't it - I'm not hiding behind the blanket of looking like George Clooney (or Arthur Mullard).

Play your cards right and I'll upload a photo 'before and after'.
No won't do that, just in pm's to people that have said naughty things on forum.

I'm looking forward to it now, it's going to be good 'for ME' and hopefully will affect my general wellbeing as well.

Richard )th: )th: )th:
Last edited by Richard on 10 Oct 2007, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

"All you want for Christmas........"

Plymouth is a heck of a way to go!
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, but it's still approx. £300 cheaper than anywhere nearer. Also, because I'm ex-railway, I don't have to pay on the train which is a major major perk.

This is my whole savings, nothing else in reserve, but I've never had any, for the last seven years anyway!!

I simply can't afford it round these South Eastern parts. There's nothing in Southampton either and I've really scoured the Internet.

Really got my teeth into it
yike*
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
seahorse
Legendary Laner

teeth

Post by seahorse »

Hi Richard, my thoughts are with you. Teeth are nasty things but neccessary. The new ones will improve your health and you will be able to eat better. Your chucks will need sunshades when you smile at them with the new pearlies :mrgreen: (f+ Annie. p.s. I think the colonel has a sweet tooth .
Looove chucks!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

good on ya richard!

i think you deserve to treat yourself to something after all the hard work you put into work and this place, so why not!!

personally id love to see before and after pics cos it interests me, but its up to you! if you dont mind sending them you could always PM them!

best wishes and big hugs

kat xx
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks

UP-DATE 2

Have just heard from them and they can do the whole thing on the same day!

Early morning - X-Rays, moulds etc
Early Afternoon - Extractions
Late Afternoon - Fitting

Blimey.

This will mean going down the day before and getting a B&B. If it were summer, I'd sleep on the beach!

What it will be to smile again!

I have a plan for the grandkids.....

I'm not going to tell them and wait for them to notice. After ribbing them by saying they grew again, I'll own up.

Then I'm setting the camcorder up......ask them if they want to see them/////sit them at table in camcorder view.....then put down on the table some of those joke one's which run accross opening and closing.

I can't wait to see the horror.

Serves them right, that's what I say )th:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Plymouth? That's nothing!
I was talking to someone who'd been to somewhere much further afield - Roumania if I remember right.
She had some friends there so somewhere to stay and recommend a good dentist.
"Where did you go for your hols?"
"Roumania, to the dentist"

I didn't ask to see the holiday snaps!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Teeth - or lack of !

Post by AnnaB »

Richard

I know the feeling. I looked at the cost of implants after my bridge cracked and had to have extractions. I reckoned on the total bill being £8000 and thought I could die next week and have all that money in my mouth???

Anyway I now have a denture (made by a dentist who really knows what he is doing) which is a metal horseshoe shape and it is great.

All the very best with it!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I looked at Budapest. The prices were great, just the Hotel / Flight / Package thingy which denied me.
This isn't far off the Eastern European price, on it's own.
Plus I guess there's better chance of after care if anything went wrong.

Like the Les Dawson "Went to the Dentist the other day. He said my teeth are all OK, but the gums are falling out". )th:

You're right Anna, you pass them down !!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Good luck Richard!! thats going to be one hell of a day for you though... you'll be a bit knocked about and sore on the way home... but what a smile! :mrgreen: )th: )grin2(
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's it really. If I don't catch the 1900hrs train from Plymouth, I can't get home, or back to Southampton which is my plan.

Hoping that won't happen as I'd rather get to Southampton where, after having a good laugh at me, I shall get pampered for a couple of days.
Also, it adds to the cost and I'm on a very tight budget!

Richard
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

I think it's absolutely mad you aren't getting sorted on the NHS. But I won't go on waving my red flag.

The good news is that they reckon they'll be able to grow new teeth for us by implanting stem cell buds - so just hang on 10 years or so and you can get rid of the bionic teeth.

Hope it isn't as grim and grusome as it sounds, M8. (But I'm a coward anyway)

When you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you

)t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

I worked in the Bar at the Cricket Academy this evening.

I wanted to close, they wanted to hang on. I just give them a big smile and I'm out in two minutes!!

I must admit, the 'grow your own' sounds veryt self-reliant )th:
Richard

Post by Richard »

A dental friend of mine has some software where he works which gives Patients a visual idea of what they may look like afterwards.

What do you reckon. I'm not sure myself/

(Jodi - Brett Lee has a set of shiners!!!)
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Oh yes!!!!!!

Funny - being an ex dental nurse(albiet 21yrs ago), the first thing I notice about peoples faces is their teeth, good, bad or otherwise.

Good luck with it all Richard - Dentistry is so expensive, and to me its a basic necessity - but for many its a luxury.

cheers
Jodi