Pig flu

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Pig flu

Post by Richard »

That makes me sound very hard, which I'm not. If those figures they gave out are so, then anything less is positive in so far as loss goes.

Of course I worry about my kids and theirs, I worry every time I say goodbye to them regardless of a Virus.

In the UK, road deaths have decreased more than half since the early 70's and we have about the best record in the EU.
That's positive, but it doesn't take away the fact that still, nearly 3,000 families are affected it by it this year alone.

We can do only what we can do.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I can understand people worrying if their health is not too good anyway, or members of the family are prone to be poorly, but I cannot remember a time when I have ever had any kind of flu. For the last thirty odd years I have been working outdoors, and the only illnesses I have had is a cold.

I don't feel the need to worry just yet, just try and keep my body fitness levels up with a good diet and excercise, and hope for the best.

Ilona
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I will obviously be extremely concerned if any of my family or myself get it, but up until then I really can't be doing with worrying about it or the hundreds of other awful things that may happen.

Stress can affect your immune system anyway.....
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

A very good point. Having a positive mind about any illness can work wonders. Feel low and you're more open.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I haven't really thought about it much. Get the occaisional text joke. But if I thought seriously about it, Winter is worrying-I got normal flu really bad last Christmas. Family were worse than useless. Hubby had a flu jab as he's diabetic, and missed the flu. We are all going to have flu jabs this year-but will they help against pigflu? I am seriously thinking of drawing up a contingency plan for coping with the flu this year. I know I will be ok, I always am, but my daughter has been cronicly ill with hayfever, still snotty even now,asthma bad, always gets a bad cough. And OH is diabetic. If we all get it, we'll be doomed! But with a plan, we may be ok. Plenty of food in, and animal food.

Another thing-chickens can get colds, will they be suseptable to this flu?

Winter will be a testing time for people, I feel.
I thought it was about time I had a signature, so this is it til I think of something else!
New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

Just thought I would try and eleviate soem swine flu fears. Was diagnosed with swine flu earlier this week. Symptoms are mostly mild - aching bady cold, sore throat but had a horrendous migraine for 3 days - which has now subsided to a headache!!
My GP was telling me that most people wont even realise they have had it - wil probably just have a mild headache/sore throat and it will pass in a day or 2. He was saying that they will have the immunity for when it really strikes in October /November.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Well, I'll try to catch it now, LOL! Our local radio station is sending out an advert encouraging people to be 'flu buddies'. A good idea to look after those who are on their own, or older, or ill. We regularly look out for a bloke next door but one-he has regular visitors, but we look for his lights being on, and ask about(we get away with being nosey, being in a small village). A few years ago, a few doors away, a neighbour went to check on an elderly man who hadnt been seen for a few days-sadly it seemed he'd put the oven on to try to keep warm and he was found in front of the oven, dead in his chair, oven wide open,still on. It was an awful thing to happen upon, and a sad way to leave this earth. {cry}
I thought it was about time I had a signature, so this is it til I think of something else!
Greengrass

Post by Greengrass »

New to all this wrote:Just thought I would try and eleviate soem swine flu fears. Was diagnosed with swine flu earlier this week. Symptoms are mostly mild - aching bady cold, sore throat but had a horrendous migraine for 3 days - which has now subsided to a headache!!
My GP was telling me that most people wont even realise they have had it - wil probably just have a mild headache/sore throat and it will pass in a day or 2. He was saying that they will have the immunity for when it really strikes in October /November.

Good post and hit the nail on the head. The worse is yet to come.

If we all go around thinking, "oh this is just another flu" then complacency set's in and it spreads easy. Personally I would hope people think on the worse case and get ready for it. Don't go to any flu parties, stay out of public places if possible and do your shopping late if you need to.

As it stands people are just treating it like jst another flu and don't really care if it get's spread around.

Would you go to work with flu? Yes most people have and do. Would you go to work with swine flu? Well it's only another flu so yes why not? See?
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I'm the same as MQ. When I had a proper job in an office I was alwas off in the Winter, mainly due to people smoking. For the last 15 or so years I have worked from home but am also outside alot. One thing I swear keeps away colds is mucking out my horse and inhaling the ammonia (the other one refuses to wee in the stable).
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

"Would you go to work with flu?"

Well you are a fool if you do. If it really is flu of any sort you risk making it much worse.
If it's a bad cold you won't be much use if you struggle in while you're feeling rotten.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

The one and only time I have had the flu. I couldn't get out of bed, I felt so ill. Let alone go to work.
The only time I have ever had off in the 28 years, I have run classes on my own.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

I get fed up with someone saying they had one day off with flu. Quite agree Wendy, flur proper is most horrible.

Jen - I'm still intriqed to know how it could have been contained, eevry other Country's getting it, what can they do ?
If anything goes wrong, it's always the Government ! That goes back through years of whichever Party.

Probably, in the early days of the Virus, kids were getting sniffles and Parents were sending them to school and out to play because they didn't want to muck up their own arrangements.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's how it often is. Now it's more a real situation, it's going in reverse.

It's here - period.
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

just had drs report back,my 3year old grddr Faith has it,she has asthma.looks like grds Kieran has it as well and hes with me,i have asthma,dieabeties ,high bloodpresure and over wieght so could be a rought road ahead,fingers cross for us )t' .got plenty of vegs ,fruit , drinks and paracetamol in )cof( .seams they had a case at school a few days ago!!!!a nice warm classroom.it,ll go thought the children like wildfire.!

angie
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
wendy

Post by wendy »

Tuck up warm and keep yourself dosed up.
{hug}
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear Angie - hope you all get well soon. (f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com