Pedometer

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Pedometer

Post by kate egg »

Just got a pedometer that I bought off eBay for about £3. It works out how many steps / miles / km / calories you make / use each day!

I did over 100 steps just making lunch, sounds a lot but I need to do 7,000 to burn 300 calories :shock:

Not sure how many steps I should be doing each day.......
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Pedometer

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Kate,
Sorry haven't a clue, but logic says you would have to work out how many calories you eat and then burn off more if you want to lose weight. That was probably stating the bleeding obvious wasn't it. I guess a bit of trial and error is called for.
I'll shut up now. If I've annoyed you with my answer then just stomp backwards and forwards for a while muttering. I think five minutes muttering on its own uses up about 2 calories.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
mumoffour
Lively Laner

Post by mumoffour »

they say you need to do 10,000 steps per day sounds alot but can be done i was doing between 15 -17,000 per day but i do have 4 dogs to walk!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes it is 10,000. I also do that daily, as I have four as well. But I still have to watch what I eat.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Checked out the NHS website and they have a 10,000 step challenge. I am already on over 4,000 and I put it on after the morning dog walk as it came in the post late. I also have the next dog walk to do. All I have done is go into town to the bank, then go to son of Morris for some shopping. Pretty sure if I add the two dog walks it'll be over 10,000 today :shock:

It tells you how many calories you have burnt although I think this must be average as you don't put your weight, height etc in. I have burnt 135 calories {rofwl} a way to go before I would lose any weight, but I am just trying to get / keep fit and its a bit of fun and encouragement )t'
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I got one free with a brand of crisps, I have to say it was useless, I clocked up a dozen steps allegedly when I went to the loo!

Walking more is good though, I am doing 3 hour walks now in training for my Ben Nevis challenge, and my husband says he is noticing a change in my body shape - less of me to grab hold of :shock:

A friend told me her co-workers all have pedometers, it is an office challenge to walk across America, they are totting up their distances and plotting them on a map. She said it makes them more competetitive, as well as it being a bit of fun!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Well I just got back from the dog walk - I had roughly worked it out a while back as just under 2 miles. The pedometer measured it at 1.95 miles so it must be pretty accurate. I have now done 8,000 steps since lunchtime :shock: so add on what must have been about 4,000 for this mornings dog walk etc and I would be at 12,000 )t'

Be interesting to see tomorrow when I have it on all day.....
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I got a free one too and it was pants! It only recorded about every 5th step. Maybe I should get one that I didn't get in a cereal box..... {rofwl}
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Babycakes wrote:I got a free one too and it was pants! It only recorded about every 5th step. Maybe I should get one that I didn't get in a cereal box..... {rofwl}

If it came in a box of above average K then it could be a ploy. You dont notice it only counts every fifth step, think you,ve only done 10,000 steps instead of 50,000, lose weight dramatically and it's all down to the cereal. :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Totally Scrambled wrote:If it came in a box of above average K then it could be a ploy. You dont notice it only counts every fifth step, think you,ve only done 10,000 steps instead of 50,000, lose weight dramatically and it's all down to the cereal. :-D
Dom

Oooh, a very good point!!
Am definately back on the excercise and healthy living wagon, OH has given me a very good incentive...which I'm not allowed to tell anyone {cry}
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I ended the day on 15,138 steps and 7.13 miles :shock: I did two dog walks at 2 miles each, walked around Nottingham, walked around the supermarket and another just under a mile dog walk at 10pm.

So far today have only done one dog walk and some shopping (again) and am on 5792 steps and 2.9 miles. Its quite surprising how it adds up. And if I had done it before I got Dino 2 1/2 years ago I would probably be on less than a mile a day! I used to drive everywhere and get out of breath walking up a slight incline....
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have one that a bought a few years ago from a chemist - special offer. Instructions were so small that I couldn't read them so never used it!

But I reckon, when I was watering 3 hours per morning, I was probably doing a lot of steps. Now I do about 30 I would think! :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com