No more evil sugar......

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
wendy

Re: No more evil sugar......

Post by wendy »

What a lovely positive mail.
Well done you, I am sure it hasn't been easy.
Keep up the good work.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

)c( That's brilliant, well done, I'm glad it's done you so much good! )c(
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Thats great news )t' Must be quite tricky but definitely sounds worth the effort :-D
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Fantastic about the cider, which to my mind isn’t empty in anyway, and even better about your well being. It comes as no surprise to me that allergies and intolerances are on the increase in our decadent lifestyles. Hope that it keeps getting better for you.
Bah Humbug
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Hello
Thanks for giving us an update. We have changed our sugar but still trying to convince mother that perhaps sugar could be the cause of her problems. It's very frustrating. :?

Keep it up and i'm glad it's making a massive difference for you.

Jo x
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

This is something I really need to do. When I have a cuppa or coffee I have 2 teaspoons of sugar and I eat 2-3 chocolate bars a day. My willpower to give up sugar is zero. Ive tried fake sugar and hate it and I dont like "diet" drinks or sugar free things. I really must try harder to cut down on sugar.
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

4c lady - I have no will power, but after you feel the advantages its not hard not to eat sugar again.

I thought over Christmas it would be hard, but didn't worry that much. I always cook mince pies for the family so I used some natural sugar (from Waitrose, expensive but I only use it now and again in cooking!) and low sugar mincemeat so I didn't miss out on that. I only had one or two instead of handfuls of them, but at least I got to taste my own cooking!

Didn't miss the chocolate (although someone bought me the diabetic chocolate from Thorntons to try and touch wood no problems!), didn't really miss Christmas pud (got a recipe to make my own next year anyway now).

Still miss my digestives though!

Give it a week and you will wonder what you are missing - between December 18th and going back to work on the 4th January I lost 6lb, something that just shouldn't happen over Christmas!

Still feeling healthy, still feeling happy - even bought 2 more waif and stray chickens to look after bringing my total up to 8 :)

Have fun!
Ry
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Thanks Ry,

I might look in my big Tesco for natural sugar. I will try as I know I eat far too much sugar and diabetis (sorry spelling) does run in our family but I like sugar so much ive got every type of sugar in my house, white granulated sugar, brown sugar cubes, caster sugar, brown sugar light and dark, icing sugar, honey and golden syrup - what am I like!!
Mark & Veronica
Lively Laner

Post by Mark & Veronica »

Im a type 1 diabetic and have been for 9 years when I nearly died! Before that my diet was Mars Bars Red Bull and Crisps for lunch followed by no end of biscuites ......

I now have zero sugar except when I need some when im dangerously low. I have sweetners in my coffee and tea.

What I have learned is to listern to you body. Eat carbs as your body will turn these into energy, bread, potatoes,pasta,rice ect...

Did you know that even your brain uses energy when you think, so starve it of energy you cant think!

Sugar is a fast release energy that lasts for a short time. Carbs are slow release therefor last longer.

Chocolate and alike are slow release as they contain fats that the body takes a while to break down, however when the body finally breaks the sugar from the fats you end up with a sudden blast of sugar!

If you want to know why footballers wives are not that bright, then imagine a carb free diet!

I am so healthy compared to when I was younger becuase I have to eat a balanced meal. Its all about moderation. Beware of slimming meals, they tend to replace the fat with sugar. Take a look at the panel on the packet, % of carbs of which are sugars will shock you!
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Just popping back through again just incase anyone was still reading this :)

The sugar I use in cooking (occasionally due to the price - but with pancake day coming I needed to get some ready!) is called 'Natural Sweet'.

The writing on the pack says:
"Perfect Sweet is a 100% natural alternative to sugar, whose only ingredient is xylitol. Found in fruits, vegetables and even in our own bodies xylitol has several health benefits over sugar and artificial sweeteners"

A 4g serving contains:

Energy: 40kJ (9.6kcal)
Protein: zero
Carbohydrates: 4g
of which sugars: zero
Polyols: 4g
Starch: zero
Fat: zero
Sat Fat: zero
Fibre: zero
Sodium: zero

Like I said, the only downside is the price - something like £2.80 for 225g.
It does last a while though (although with pancake day coming it may be used a lot more than normal!)

I have hit a bit of a stumbling block - even the diabetic chocolate makes me feel bad now so its down to absolutely zero chocolate, but to be honest I can do without that now (and believe me, if someone said 6 months ago that I wouldn't care about not having a chocolate bar I would of called them mad!)

Since I started on the no refined sugar path I have now lost 1stone 3pound in weight and feeling a lot better - I think the feeling good part is being bolstered by people I have known for a long time saying I look a lot better in myself.

Downside is - need some more trousers and shirts for work!

If anyone wants to chat about this off here, I am guessing people don't want to hear me go on and on about this so sorry, feel free to grab my MSN or something - I can't say enough about how much better I feel.

I also feel sorry for diabetics - since looking around I cannot believe how much diabetic people get ripped off buying 'special' food to cater to the disease. Its madness.

Cheers
Ry
Mark & Veronica
Lively Laner

Post by Mark & Veronica »

Dont feel sorry for us diabetics, we dont eat the diabetic crap anyway! its normally sold to those who are just diagnosed and panic buy, or is bought by people who are just being thoughtfull and buy us diabetic sweets and chocolate. Remember diabetic goods are normally great laxatives! and blody expensive.

Its cheaper being a diabetic and healthy because you become very aware of what you eat. Type 2 diabetics get it rough because they have pills and diets to worry about, where type 1's like me have the benifit of injections that mean we are in control.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have a family of Diabetics. Both sisters and a nephew since he was 17 all insulin dependant. Mark is right, they don't buy the 'special' stuff. Just are aware.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning