Lack of exercise and depression

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Lack of exercise and depression

Post by Sunny B »

Having overstrained my knee ligament I have been resting up at home for nearly 3 weeks, and boy can I feel the difference in myself. I normally go for at least an hour's walk each day, though more recently I had been in training to go up Ben Nevis, and was doing far more and was feeling on top of the world, and have not had a bad cold for a couple of years.

The realisation that I would not be able to do Ben Nevis has been very hard, I had been looking forward to it since the spring, but I'm sure that the lack of fresh air and exercise has brought my spirits twice as low. I feel on the brink of tears and my stomach is in a knot, and also I have caught my son's cold.

I'm really missing the fresh air, the feeling of effort going up and down our lovely Cornish cliffs and the openness of having the sky and sea round me, instead of four walls and the tv!

Sorry to moan on, it just shows what a different person I have become through lack of exercise, hopefully I will be back to it soon. When I have shaken off the cold I will try to go swimming and maybe take the inflatable canoe out while the knee is still dodgy. And if there's some surf, and it's not too cold maybe my favourite spirit lifting activity - bodyboarding!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Lack of exercise and depression

Post by kate egg »

Oh dear, you do sound fed-up (understandably). Knee problems are so restricting, there is very little you can do as far as exercise is concerned. Bad news about your Ben Nevis thing too {cry}

I know what you mean about getting out, since I got my dog I have walked more than ever (not hard - I was almost completely inactive), and now walk between 4 and 5 miles a day with him. It is lovely seeing the changing seasons.

Not sure how to try to cheer you up, other than it will get better, but you must be careful with it and don't try too much too soon {hug}
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Thanks Kate, all my friends have been very supportive, which is lovely.

We are hoping to get a dog soon, just waiting for the right one to appear! Is that your one on your profile pic? Looks a sweetie!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Yup, that's Dino my Springer Spaniel, he is a lovely lad and very easy going as you can see in the photo - until the word lead or the word walk is mentioned :shock: We got him at 9 weeks old and the first few months were quite a challenge having never had a dog before. But he is such a part of the family and we love him to bits :-D I think if I was to get another I would like it to be a rescue....
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Oh no Sunny B! I am sorry for you {hug}

I will get that chicken pattern done ASAP! :-D Being creative while you are resting up will help alot I am sure.

Best wishes to you

Ma Larkin (f+