Fear of dentist

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Re: Fear of dentist

Post by roddelmae »

We had a lovely dentist when we lived in Morecambe. His surgery was in Lancaster University, so his prices were reasonable, perhaps subsidised by the Uni for the students benefit.
He used to indulge me by giving me the injection first, then treating another patient, and getting me back in when the aneasthetic had taken full effect. When we moved to Scunthorpe, we went to a dentist on a private basis. After he had examined both of us, he quoted £1,700 (!) for what he considered essential treatment. {cry}
It took nearly three years, and the intervention of our (discredited) MP, Elliot Morley, before we got onto an NHS list, and that is eight miles away.
After the treatment, because my teeth were in such a mess by then, I was left with only two of my own, and two plates.
So I could say that all my teeth are my own 'cos I paid for them! )t'
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Same here. My teeth degenerated very quickly, obviously something went wrong and the only answer was to have the one's which left, out!

I had them out and dentures fitted at the same time, 11 teeth out. The Dentist (private, not much different in price and after care is better) used a kind of injection gun, just kept clicking as he went, it was all quite easy - the worse part was hearing the clank of the tin he was putting them in!

I'm disappointed, of course I am, but have no problem talking about it, I'm past caring that other people know I have dentures. I have six pages on it in Health and Wellbeing section.

In May I'm having a more cosmetic set made up. He's going to give me about four options, so I shall wear a set, see what others think and choose at the end. They will be padded to get some of my face shape back.

I have until then to save up about £800
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mercymee
Lively Laner

Post by mercymee »

Oh Sunny B, what awful times you have had with the dentist.

There are some great suggestions here that are worth taking.

Good luck. Phobias are the pits.