I need some serious support

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

I need some serious support

Post by Richard »

Leo and me went to Dover Castle today, although living in Kent for nearly 62 years, never been and I wanted to follow on some research etc.

Anyways, after going around the Castle itself, amazingly well done up BTW, we went to the Secret War Rooms which are basically four miles of tunnels interlinked by all the War Rooms of various descriptions.

Anyway, here comes my point.

We got to a certain part, there were 30 people in the 'Tour' and the Guide said we would now be going upwards.

From the 30 people standing there, she walks straight over to me and said, "Are you alright doing stairs Sir".

OMG, do I look that bad!! I nearly told her about my recent exploits up the hardest walks on Tryfan, The Great Gable and other such Mountains, but let it rest.

I've noticed of late that younger people shout at me and call me 'Love' or 'Dear'.

I don't like this ageing process one bit.

Now, I know from all your fine characters, that I will get absolutely no sympathy, care or thought whatsoever, but thought I'd try.

It gave Leo a laugh anyway. I have no doubt the news will reeach my daughter this evening !!

Richard (nearly 62)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
perchy

Re: I need some serious support

Post by perchy »

O dear, maybe she forgot her glasses, I don't think you look nearly 62. :-D

Perchy (nearly 21)
Richard

Post by Richard »

If any woman gets hold of me now, it'll be like an episode of Scrapheap Challenge!

AND I often play football with the Kent Cricket Team and sort of keep up with them, plus do a couple of circuits almost every morning I'm there.

Maybe it's my winter look !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Richard i would so love to support you in your hour of need, but that made me lololololool, i would love to have seen your face(or heard the language) after she had said it, it comes to us all, and afterall what a lovely caring lady she must have been to ask )t' You look as fit as a fiddle, but like you said perhaps the wintered look
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

At my age (63) I often get called 'dear' or 'love' and I accept it gracefully, as it often gets fringe benefits.
When we first came to Scunthorpe, we went to a local pub and had a carvery lunch. When I went to pay the bill, I was given pensioners discount, and I was only 57 then! Naturally, I didn't argue.
What I do object to is being called 'mate' by people who I don't know and whose wages I contribute to with my custom. Irene says it's a northern thing and I should accept it, but I don't like it.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

62 is no age these days, unless you are unlucky enough to look as if you can't manage the stairs! {rofwl}

If I bump into anyone I know when we go to the cricket in June, I shall just say you are my father. {rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

Oh well, looks like a snog behind the Sightscreen has gone right out the window then.

I can take it!

Richard
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Look at it the other way, Richard.

You could always say Helen is your "neice" )t' and gain a reputation of being able to pull the younger ladies.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Richard

Post by Richard »

The fast bowlers usually field on the boundary when not bowling. I often get the "Nice lady sitting just by the Leslie Ames Stand Dicky, about 50 / 55, white hair, wearing a pink top, on her own" etc.
When I next go that way, I have a look and all too often, they have the age completely wrong and they're about 40 !
Again, it's the younger persons perspective of age.

I will say this again and again, because you're fit, doesn't mean to say you're healthy and vice versa and because you're 'old' doesn't mean you're not fit and healthy, again vice versa.

Age is something we can never beat, so I intend to grow old gracefully as well - but have a damned good laugh whilst doing it.

)t'
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Which "fit" do you mean Richard?

It has a completely different meaning to teenagers these days. {rofwl}
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Indeed it does and not just teenagers! :-D

I find it really funny when youngsters try to guess my age - anything over 20 is past it! Mind you, what is far more worrying is that I am not sure what age I now consider really old. Around 90 probably. yike*

BTW - what's a sightscreen Richard?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Richard

Post by Richard »

A sightscreen? What you hide behind to have a snog !

I wasn't sure about putting this in the Health and Fitness section, but think it should be. Sure the aches and pains have arrived, you get more forgetful etc., but underneath is that basic instinct of pleasure, having a laugh and flirtation.

The health of the mind is just as, if not more important than the state of the body.

It's not last of the summer wine, it's first of the Autumn wine !
wendy

Post by wendy »

The mind is about 28....... the body is 65. But that is just a number, I am having a blast of a life.
I am going to be a long time laying down with my eyes closed, so I am enjoying it, while I can.
They would be very brave to ask me if I can manage the stairs !!!...they may get a clout {rofwl}
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Richard wrote:....you get more forgetful etc.,

Welcome to the forum. We have a section called 'introductions' if you would like to tell us a little more about yourself.......

Richard wrote: but underneath is that basic instinct of pleasure, having a laugh and flirtation.

I was only saying that to a friend tonight......I think it is VERY important. )t'

Richard wrote:The health of the mind is just as, if not more important than the state of the body.

It's not last of the summer wine, it's first of the Autumn wine !

I totally, utterly and completely agree. There's a first! )c(
Helen xx

Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Richard, as mentioned in another post, I'm now a great aunt. And I'm only 29!!
You have my full and unconditional support! Or you would have if I wasn't so damn envious of bus passes and motibility scooters :-D
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!