Walking your way to health

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Walking your way to health

Post by Meanqueen »

You probably know I do a lot of walking, I wanted to log my miles but didn't know how to calculate them. Someone from walkingforum.co.uk gave me this link to a site that works it out for you.

route planning and miles calculations

You can use it to plan your routes in advance, walking and driving, or you can check how far you have travelled after your journey. You could use it to monitor how much walking you are doing, especially if it is part of your fitness regime. For instance I know it is 5.25 miles from my house into town. If you are walking to work each day you can total up for the week or month.

I seem to be averaging 9 - 10 miles on a walk, it varies depending on how high I climb. All good fun if you are interested.

Ilona
Forgot to say, put your start place name in the box bottom right, change the scale to suit, toggle maps if you prefer, I use OS, there is a help button for full instructions.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Re: Walking your way to health

Post by Mallard »

I don't have a car now, so I walk a lot. I've been toying with the idea of one of these... http://www.pedometers.co.uk/?gclid=CPC0 ... 2AodvBKSmA
If I sell another big bag of firewood this week I might just get one! )t'
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Does that work for for footpaths? I did some coast path walking last year, the road along the cliffs was 8 miles, but the coast path wiggled and went up and down some steep valleys, so was obviously a lot longer.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes Sunny, it is ideal for footpaths. You can zoom in on the ordnance survey map and follow the dotted line footpaths by clicking along the route with your mouse. Or you can zoom in on the street map if you want to calculate road mileage. It adds up the distance as you click. It has two versions of the map you are working in on the page, you choose which one is best suited depending whether you are walking, cycling, or driving. Toggle the maps (click toggle) to increase the size of your working area.
Ilona
Jane in London
Lively Laner

Post by Jane in London »

Hi Ilona,

Yes, I would certainly agree with you that walking is the best way to stay in good condition - much better than running (which puts a strain on the joints) or even swimming (which does not give the benefits of weight-bearing exercise) for most people.

Hubby and I walk a lot, and we enjoy coastal path walking a couple of times a year. We will be going walking at Easter; I would do more of it, but have to spend Monday to Friday in an office! {cry}

Jane