chemical sensitivity

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
echelon
Longlasting Laner

chemical sensitivity

Post by echelon »

I have been convinced for several years now that I have chemical sensitivity - mainly to perfume and air fresheners. I think that I developed a sensitivity to them whilst working at a care home that used the air fresheners without any ventilation at all. I did start to feel ill whilst working there and left when I became pregnant with my youngest son.

I have carefully avoided perfume/air fresheners/strong smelling cleaning products ever since. If I do come into contact with them my sinuses play up and I get lots of sinus pain. I also get headaches and tiredness.

Well, several weeks ago my husband bought a used Ford Ka and I noticed that after the air freshener that the garage used inside it had worn off, the seatbelts absolutely stink of perfume - the previous owner must have been addicted to the stuff or something.

I haven't been well since. I have had: nausea, extreme tiredness, confusion, headaches, an ear infection and now a sinus infection :?

I have gone all winter being well and having no problems at all and now this. It is definitely due to the car. I can't ride in it for longer than 15 minutes without feeling very unwell.

My husband has washed the seatbelts with biological washing powder and they seem a bit better. If anybody has any other suggestions as to how to get rid of this stink I'd be grateful. I'm on the verge of paying for the worst affected seatbelt to be replaced.

I'm as sick as a parrot {cry}

Hi to everybod anyway. Hopes you are all well and happy )t'

My chickens are doing fine, but my last guinea pig has died.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Re: chemical sensitivity

Post by Sunny B »

I sympathise with you, I can't abide after shave, perfume or anything too chemical smelling either.
The smell will go eventually. I would suggest leaving the windows open on the car whenever you can to air it out (overnight if you keep it in a garage). Drive it with the windows open a bit and the blowers on too. >gl<

Sorry about your little guinea pig. They are dear little characters, aren't they?
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

So sorry to hear that you have been feeling so unwell.

I would try a good valet before changing the seat belts, slighly easier and possibly cheaper. Or use a carpet cleaner on sealt belts carpets and seats. Hope it works >mmm<
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Sorry to be contradictory, Bollybarb, but I'd avoid other cleaning products, as they probably have chemical perfumes in too. I've used both car valet and carpet cleaners in the past that gave me a bad reaction.

I was wondering if bicarb might work, I just had a look on the web and found this:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf510555.tip.html

Scroll down, there are lots of answers. I also agree with the person on the site about not using Feb**ze.

I was pleased to see the term "chemically sensitive", it sounds better than my hubby's phrase, which is "pain in the a*se" )j;
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

I find that artificial perfumes will trigger a migraine in me. I can tolerate and even use real perfume as in [expensive] aftershave but cheap ones, and household perfumes, make me sick and then the aura and pain of a migraine starts. I sympathise with any fellow sufferers.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I truly hate air fresheners with a vengeance. They smell so awful compared to air..... they really are one of my pet hates.

Having said that, I LOVE perfume and wear it every day (often several times) without fail. It is not because I smell ( {rofwl} ) but just because it makes me feel different....kind of cared for I guess.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I sympathise totally, I have to walk around perfume shops and I can’t stand walking through the department store perfume/makeup area that always seems to be y the door. I rarely wear anything other than deodorant and I am careful about what I buy (obviously clothes are worn). It is certain fragrances that they put in the cocktail that effect me, any vanilla makes me feel sick straight away. I do however love natural vanilla, it must be the synthetic version.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Natural vs synthetic vanilla? That's a very, errm...dare I say it....girly observation SS!!! :shock:

)grin2(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com