Yes!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Yes!

Post by Homemade »

Alcohol is not as fattening as has been thought!
"Research" has shown that women who drink in moderation put on less weight than teetotallers. The theory is that the liver deals with alcohol in a different way, turning the calories to heat rather than fat. (Explains the hot flushes then?).
And red wine is least fattening of all )c( .
Sorry don't know if this works for men as well or if the research was only done on women. It was in the sunday times this week.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
p.penn

Re: Yes!

Post by p.penn »

I saw that too in today's DM (and before you all panic, no I don't and never would buy it, I happened to read it at work!)

It was saying how many calories wine was.....but in comparison with food.....one glass white = 1.5 jaffa cakes...... :shock: I rather liked the top of the list - a Stella = 3 jammy dodgers. Really put that into perspective......biscuits Vs alchohol.....

What it didn't say was 1.5 Jaffa cakes = a side salad (or whatever).
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Unlike some, I would not hold someone's choice of newspaper against them.
When my son-in-law came last weekend, he bought a copy of the DM with him, and read it in front of me! yike*
But I don't hold it against him; he is, after all, father of my grandchildren. )t'
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I quite obviously need to drink more wine !!!
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

IMO alcohol is a great social tool and that is why we were once the envy of the world because of our pubs. I could rant about multi-nationals, the death of our local pubs, taxes, and the rise of high strength cheap 2L bottles of poison but there is no point the tax issue will control what happens. A bit off topic.

Enjoy a couple of glasses of red and don't worry about putting weight on Ladies.
)t'
Bah Humbug
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Jen the point is that calories are calories Except for alcohol because the body processes it differently. So 100 calories of cake makes you fatter than 100 calories of red wine.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

What about ten pints of cider, that must be the same as about two cream buns.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would say that wasn't a bad guess SS. Maybe 3.....
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

In the article it said that the equivalent calories in alcohol were processed in a different way by the liver than foods, so the fattening effect of the calories in it were less than food. I think!
Helen xx

Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I don't drink, Jen, and was quite upset to find that drinking a small amount of alcohol is supposed to actually be quite good for fending off heart disease, though as I am fit, not overweight or a smoker and have a good diet I'm not going to take it up!

Lots of contra-indications for women, such as this: " Compared with men, women develop alcohol-induced liver disease over a shorter period of time and after consuming less alcohol (10,11). In addition, women are more likely than men to develop alcoholic hepatitis and to die from cirrhosis"

Lots more on this site:http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa46.htm
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

One thing that is for certain: Nobody gets out of this life alive!!

We will die of something, hopefully old age, but all we can do is try to limit the chances of some conditions/diseases. We all make choices though.............Cheers )pty