Blocked ear

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Blocked ear

Post by Sunny B »

Ever since the worst cold in years, my left ear has been blocked and deaf. I'm getting really fed up with it now, not only can I not hear what's being said to me, but bizzarely some sounds, like saucepans clattering, sound ridiculously loud in my other ear!
I've been steaming with olbas oil, trying to clear it, and don't know what to do now. I took packets of decongestants while I had the cold, my nose is clear now, but I don't know whether to go back on them again )hlp>
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
perchy

Re: Blocked ear

Post by perchy »

Its horrible isn't it, the loudness in your good ear is probably that it is compensating for the one that is blocked, my OH has had this several times and puts warm olive oil on some cotton wool in the ear, and leaves for a few hours, if you do this for a couple of days if there is a build up of wax it will soften it and hopefully will work its was out, if not a trip to the Drs may be needed as you may have been left with an infection. )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Sunny,
My youngest had allergies when she was younger and had problems hearing. We found that ear candles worked really well. If you've never heard of them they are sort of hollow candles. You lie on your side, stick one in your ear, light it and let it burn down. It sucks all the gunk out of the ear. If you have a strong stomach you can unroll the stump afterwards and look at the results yike*
Dom
Here's a link explaining them http://www.lynnehancher.co.uk/aaahop.htm
Ali Woks My World
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wow, never heard of that but will tell OH, looks a bit scary but am sure it isn't )t'
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

Taking carlic capsules may be worth a try. I suffered with a blocked ear after every cold I had and it could last for months. It isn't an instant cure but it cleared mine up in about a week. Now, every time I get a cold I dose myself with garlic and I haven't had a problem since.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.