Quitting smoking.

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Steve the Gas

Re: Quitting smoking.

Post by Steve the Gas »

Still not smoked any cigs, but a mycardial infarction does focus the mind somewhat {warn}
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

Well I gave up yesterday(trying anyway), have smoked for well over 20years and have tried everything to give up over the years but nothing ever works. This time I'm trying a new smoking device called the mini cigarette, like patches you carry on having your nicotine fix but with this thing you inhale it and even blow out what looks like smoke?? who knows if it will work but gonna give it ago and if that don't work then gonna try the paul mckenna method. :-D
Brakersway
Lively Laner

Post by Brakersway »

My secret to quitting is a drug called Zyban, prescription only.
Take one a day for a week, then on the eigth day, take one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and stop smoking on that day. Not one hint of withdrawal symptons, other than the need to do something with your fingers.
You are supposed to take the drug for a couple of months after quitting, but I stopped after 3 days. Mostly because I forgot to take them. And I stayed clean for six months.
I found out about zyban on a quit smoking forum, you have to ask for it, the doc will not offer. Apparently it was supposed to be an anti depreesant or weight loss drug, that was tested on american cons. It failed at its initial purpose, but a noticed side effect was that most of the cons quit smoking. They didnt feel the need for a ciggarette, so didnt go out of their way to get one. Or something like that.
I tried quitting with patches, hypnotism, nicorette gum, inhalers etc etc, you know the stroy, but I was apparently a horrid person to live with when quitting, so for my families sake, I tried to find a different way. Zyban is the business in my opinion.
I have quit twice with zyban, and still have plenty left in the cupboard, so am getting ready to quit again, but hopefully this time, the better half will actually quit too, and help me stay a non smoker this time.
If you try to fail and succeed.
What have you done?
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Three and a half years (or so) down the line (excuse the pun) and still going strong for me. 25+ years addicted to nicotine and sometimes smoking up to 80 a day (when out drinking which means I probably gave out quite a few). The benefits of stopping smoking are subtle, slow to be realised but life changing; I do now look back and wonder why anyone would want to smoke in the first place but like so many I was in my early teens when I became one of the crowd.
I read a book by a chap called Alan Carr (who ironically died of lung cancer), Richard dragged up a link from amazon the last time this topic came up. Changed my perspective on smoking and two years after reading it I eventually stopped.
Best of luck to all the stoppers and stick at it.
Bah Humbug
k66yla
Lively Laner

Post by k66yla »

Have'nt been on here for ages, too busy/tired with work )dwn: I managed to give up for 5 weeks until I got paired up with someone at work who drove me nuts with all their moaning. Any excuse to get away for a 5 minute break. Not smoking whilst out on delivery though, just seems to be the 4 hours when I'm in the sorting office.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Did you start smoking again to get away for five minutes or was it your way of finding an excuse to start smoking again? I ask because I look back on my many failed attempts to stop smoking and it is laughable the excuses I’d use to justify my next nicotine fix; blaming another individual ranks quite highly amongst them as does the rather dangerous ruse of only smoking when I have a drink, which inevitably meant that I’d rush to the pub from work so that I could inhale a cocktail of toxins from a smouldering tube of leaves.
If folk annoy me now I don’t rush for a fix, there is no need and actually smoking doesn’t help the situation because you’ll be anxious after the fix has worn off in about fifteen to twenty minutes. There are plenty of places to hide from annoying people away from the designated smoking area.
Bah Humbug
k66yla
Lively Laner

Post by k66yla »

I think I started again because I needed to get away from the constant moaning. The person just don't shut up, got the worse delivery in the office apparently +pinn+ moan moan moan, as I said before its only when I'm in the Delivery Office. Unfortunately there is no where else to go, can't even sit in the rest room any more because the managers have filled it up with the unaddressed junk mail we have to deliver every week. I'm off for a week next week so will try again )sh
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

keep at it is the best advice I can give.
Bah Humbug
Jane in London
Lively Laner

Post by Jane in London »

I smoked from age 16, when we all did it because we thought it looked very cool, to age 25. I gave up 'cold turkey', I don't remember there being any aids to giving up smoking apart from some sort of dummy cigarette to suck on which made you look like a right charlie!

It was difficult to give up, because people were smoking everywhere then - in tube trains, in the cinema, at their desks in the office... Funny to think of that now!

So, not had a ciggie for almost 30 years. Strangely, until I was about 50 I used to get the odd urge to have a cig. I think for some of us that never leaves you, but I am really glad that I did not ever start again.

Very best of luck to all of you who are trying to give up, or have recently given up and are trying to keep on the straight and narrow. Your health and your bank balance will be really glad you did it!

Jane
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

After trying everything to give up with no success i've now been smoke free for near a month thanks to E Cigarettes or some call them electric cigarettes, they look and taste like a real cig only with no tar or tobacco and to be honast I'm loving them, ok I haven't give up the nicotine yet but i'm sure that will come and although i'm still getting my fix I am 1000 times healthier and feeling it. the e cig is a device which runs through a battery and a atomiser and liquid nicotine (like the stuff in patches) but instead of lighting it and smoking it, the atomiser turns the nicotine into vapor which is inhaled, it looks just like real smoke but it isn;t harmful, it don't stink like smoke either and it 100% legel to smoke in pubs. )t'
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

if anyone is interested in finding out more then this site is brilliant:

totally wicked http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/?ps2=8F59C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"